Please STOP Skybusting at Niagara

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Please STOP Skybusting at Niagara

Postby devildan1976 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi guys, I am all for hunting and have'n a good time but this skybusting is STUPID and it shows a lack of respect for your fellow hunters and the birds we all love to hunt. For Gods sake people let the birds work and come in. Wait till they show you their feet then Take Em. I have seen guys shoot at high birds all morning long.Sometimes they get lucky but most times it ends up with alot of waisted shot or a wonded bird that will later die a slow painful death. All I ask is that on public land remember your fellow hunters and that our goal is the same. Respect each other, the animal, and don't take this freedom for granted.
I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
devildan1976
hunter

Re: Please STOP Skybusting at Niagara

Postby cutm Jack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Effin aye cotton!!! Why people would want to waste shells sky blastin is beyond me... If I shoot three times at a duck it pisses me off cause it messes up my average = shell to kill ratio; i like to stay below 15, cripple shots included. I know all the people that look at these forums there are some skyblasters out there and I say " FIGURE IT OUT DARRELICT". For the skyblasters out there we made some video today of ducks landing at 15ft then gettin smoked so if you need a tutorial PM me. JACK out...
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby greyling » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 pm

I think people do it off of jealousy. Especially on public lands with other hunters, they get upset when they are too high but lowering down for another guy so they just shoot at them so nobody can get them.
greyling
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:51 pm

greyling wrote:I think people do it off of jealousy. Especially on public lands with other hunters, they get upset when they are too high but lowering down for another guy so they just shoot at them so nobody can get them.

Haters hate.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby TROB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 pm

cutm Jack wrote:Effin aye cotton!!! Why people would want to waste shells sky blastin is beyond me... If I shoot three times at a duck it pisses me off cause it messes up my average = shell to kill ratio; i like to stay below 15, cripple shots included. I know all the people that look at these forums there are some skyblasters out there and I say " FIGURE IT OUT DARRELICT". For the skyblasters out there we made some video today of ducks landing at 15ft then gettin smoked so if you need a tutorial PM me. JACK out...

Pretty sure you're the derelict...I bet you $2,000 you can't show me this video you speak of.

See you at 0515 mike, ya' jackwagon...

Rosie OUT! :lol3:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby graphixx » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I do agree that skybusters do it out of jealousy and desperation because the birds are not working into their spread. you will have them pretty much anywhere you go on public land buuuut NIAGRA has got to be the southern Idaho mecca for skybusters!!! Me and my buddies used to hunt that spot more than anybody else 5 years ago but it got so bad we havent been there since. It really is too bad because its a great spot to hunt and holds good birds, I think cause its down in the "honey belt" in the hagerman/buhl area and the spots that you hunt you dont need a boat.

I feel for ya buddy!
Bad decisions usually make the BEST stories!
graphixx
hunter

Postby fattig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I hunted pheasants at the Niagra WMA yesterday and my lab found dead 9 ducks throughout the area that people lost or failed to look for... then he found 3 stacked up dead ducks by a blind on one of the ponds.. someone shot them and then left them to rot. :mad:
fattig
hunter

Postby OneShot2146 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Sounds like Fish and Game should visit that area.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm

We have already picked up 6 dead birds floating down the river into our spread this year. I'm not talking about coots, I'm talking about mallards, widgeon, teal...

I used to throw them away just on principle but now I peel the breast and if its still warm it goes on the pile. I inspect at home. I'd like to get a thermometer like the one the wardens use.

The only real problem I have is if some idiot is out there shooting lead, that's the last thing I need but I'll take my chances.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby coruptone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm

This is a very sad post to see!!! i was down there in the middle of the week, two weeks ago and the place has not changed one bit in 20 years. i myself call the lower half of Niagara the gauntlet after the Clint Eastwood movie. by 9:00 am i was done, having picked up 3 cripples on my way in and 2 wile setting up all i needed was 2 more for my limit. not too be. as shooting time came the first shots came from the 2 sobs that set up 50yds from me and sliced through the trees only feet above my head. at that point i was done but with every duck that came in to that area it seemed like shots came from everywhere. pretty bad when you see a flock approach and you hit the deck because you are not sure of witch tool around you is going to shoot first. getting to my rig i had 5 greenheads, left 4 decoys that seemed to be in the middle of EVERYONE'S shooting lane and never fired one shot and i will never return :mad:
coruptone
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 am

This is idiocy at its best. Leaving ducks is criminal in my opinion, we hunt (as most of us do) so we can enjoy eating ducks and geese. Growing up in SE Louisiana I was taught tough duck hunting discipline which meant doing it right and doing it smart even to the point of limiting hunts at certain ponds as to not over-shoot it. I still remember seeing my Dad on several occasions spend 15-20 minutes looking for a cripple (we stopped using retrievers in the mid-60's as the alligators were making a comeback - didn't want to lose a dog). The previous poster is correct, Game and Fish needs to park there for awhile.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby graphixx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:38 pm

I honestly think Niagra is where all the dipshit "tools" of duckhunting go and the reason for this is because its down by hagerman on the snake, its easy to drive to and the spots are easy to get to and these dumb asses can say that they "hunt in Hagerman" these are the type of hunters that do not care or adhere to the principals of real duckhunting and are pretty much just out there to blast a bird out of the sky!!

I am sure this will piss some people off but this is just my opinion :)
graphixx
hunter

Postby TROB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby LEOJR73 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm

graphixx wrote:I honestly think Niagra is where all the dipshit "tools" of duckhunting go and the reason for this is because its down by hagerman on the snake, its easy to drive to and the spots are easy to get to and these dumb asses can say that they "hunt in Hagerman" these are the type of hunters that do not care or adhere to the principals of real duckhunting and are pretty much just out there to blast a bird out of the sky!!

I am sure this will piss some people off but this is just my opinion :)

Graphixx, that is harsh!! LOL. That area is one of the only place that me and my bro and friends hunted. It is loaded with ducks, it is easy access and 9 times out of 10 we had a couple of youngsters with us for those reasons. We didnt have any access to private lands or a boat. I know I can speak for myself and my brother that we consider ourselves very ethical hunters, in fact my brother posted this thread. This is a place that we show up very very dark thirty to make sure we get a good spot, get out there and get set up, and then get some tools show up 25 minutes before shooting hours and set up 30-50 yards behind you, and then skybust working birds. So yes there are severeal "dipshit "tools" that show up out there but definately not "ALL". Miss Idaho and all the awesome hunting access I took for granted when I was there. Good luck on the rest of your season
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Postby graphixx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:01 pm

leo, your right but for the most part there are more BAD unethical hunters down there than there are good hunters. and that is what makes me angry! I should have worded that a little better..... but for the most part there are alot more inconsiderate hunters that go down there then there are good ones. that is why I dont go down there anymore it is just not worth it to deal with those type of hunters and it bums me out because the hunting down there is GREAT it just sucks that the spot has gotten so bad.
graphixx
hunter

Postby Fenn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:15 am

I haven't been on here too much this year...haven't done much hunting this year either :(
But, saw this thread and I HAVE to comment....I agree with all that has been said.

Graphix, your comments are spot on in my opinion!! I used to hunt that area a lot 6-7 years ago, but after my buddy and I got peppered three times in a month I was done!! It's got too many people in there!! Sad really, it is a good place for birds.
Fenn
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting