Duck Hunting Forum banner

Deer in the snow sucks BUT!!!

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Duplex lover 
#1 ·

4:45 AM Sunday morning:
My boy picks me up at the House. We headed to our best hunting area. The Highway looks and feels BAD, it was all ice to the gravel 80 miles, and then it was ice and drifted snow... We tried three different roads to get to where we were going to hunt. All where drifted in, my boy turned around, that's BAD. The wind had blown all night but was calming down now. Finally we got in , we wanted to get to the TOP side of "THE HOLE" but ended up on the bottom and will have to go UP to get in to the hole after the 1/2 mile walk through the TALL CRP grass and two feet of snow. The walk out sucked the snow at times up past my waste.
The forecast was for -21*wind chill and that's what I was dressed, for WRONG. No wind to speak of and lots of work, yes I was very hot by time we started the uphill part. It was full daylight when we started and getting warmer as we went, now probably +5*...
We were seeing a lot of deer tracks and it clicked that with the wind the older tracks should have been covered, Hum looked like the deer where just in front of us and they were heading in to the hole too.
The Hole is a big brake the heads away from the lake, and after it turns west opens in to a HUGE brushy bole, the deer get pushed in to here as the season drags on. NO one ever hunts the HOLE! Way too far for a sine hunter, alas here we are heading in to the hole.
We kept peeking over the top as we creped to the top. We saw the first Doe walking the trail then another, and another, Must have been 20 or so. My boy ranged it for me at 300 yards. I got the gun ready and on sticks when a VERY respectable buck walks out in to view. He said:" think you can shoot him from here"? I don't know I'll try. It was a fairly uphill shot and I have shot the 243 a LOT with the 85 gr Gamekings, so I leveled the cross hairs on the very top of his center shoulder and fired. In the binoculars Kristopher said he could see the vapor trail from the bullet in flight and knew I was going to hit the deer. It did, the buck flinched and hunched up a bit but just stood there. He said shoot him again; I did same thing, and again three shots. As I was putting in more shells he started to shake and he tipped over and rolled down the hill.
When we got up to him it looked like he was sleeping, the nights frost was still on his sides, Cool. We looked after he was gutted and all three bullets went in to his lungs and heart in the same spot, he just didn't fall down...
With that I'm finished big game hunting for the year. The boy is #2 for a bison cow/calf tag so if that happens I'll help with that I'm sure.
Anyway it time to kill coyotes and wolf, NOW WERE TALK'N!!! :gr:

]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.