So how did everyone do??

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

So how did everyone do??

Postby JustinNH » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 am

I know the northern zone is still going, but just wanted to see how everyone did during the first split of the season.

After seeing more ducks than ever during early goose, with the easiest shots imaginable, my duck season has been incredible slow. 6 ducks and 1 goose.... Pretty much what I get after the first week in any past season.

Disappointing, but if the numbers truly mattered, I would have quit this a long time ago. Just can't beat the sunrise on a cool fall morning. From people I have talked to, it seems they are either having the best year ever, or the worst year ever. Thought that was kinda interesting.

Also have two grouse so far, which is always nice. Missed the whole opening month though.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: So how did everyone do??

Postby goosebuster11 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 am

This has been my best year by far! Seen more birds than ever, and was able to hunt more than ever. Also, started setting up on ducks rather than just pass shooting while goose hunting, so my duck killing went up immensely. 11 geese and 9 ducks so far including my first greenhead ever! I almost always hunt with my buddy and between the 2 of us we have 36 birds so far.

Seemed to see a lot more mallards than I ever have, but im also hunting in a new part of the state due to moving so that could be it.
Attachments
397215_4847124982961_1348869864_n.jpg
Best day of ducks
525838_4788568919096_1579632653_n.jpg
Best day of early goose
525045_4788570039124_1770421485_n.jpg
My first greenhead
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby rickbr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

Being my first year I've really put effort into waterfowl. I'm not totally unhappy. so far I've gotten one field goose, one hen pheseant and two geese while out duck hunting. Took me a while to find a few spots worth hunting. Really hoping they pan out for the late season.
rickbr
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Its been autrocious. I don't count my ducks, but I've gotten maybe 10. Not many more. I usually get that the first day. :lol3: :lol3: Kidding of course, usually first week I'll have more then 10 though. I hunted hard this year too. Just not much around, and I've actually been shooting rather well.
8 pheasants, a couple wood cock, and a deer round out the nearly empty freezer. :no: Hopefully I can supplement that with another deer next week before the ducks open back up. I don't think I've ever finished the first half without some ducks in the freezer, but I look and theres none there.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:27 pm

This year has been a really good start for me. I have taken 12 geese and 25 ducks. Also have put some venny in the freezer with a 110 lb doe. The ducking was pretty good for me up until the last couple weeks of the season. I contribute this to local birds wiseing up to the hunting pressure. The weather hasn't been cool enough to bring in new birds. The best part of the season for me isn't the bird count. It is that my daughter took her first duck during the youth weekend. She then shot her second goose. Now she loves going out to the local waterways jumpshooting. Also, my little yellow lab Belle, has made about 30 retrieves this year. She is doing an excellent job and coming into her own. Good luck everyone with the rest of the season. :beer:
Benny8
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Benny8 wrote:The best part of the season for me isn't the bird count. It is that my daughter took her first duck during the youth weekend. She then shot her second goose. Now she loves going out to the local waterways jumpshooting. Also, my little yellow lab Belle, has made about 30 retrieves this year. She is doing an excellent job and coming into her own. Good luck everyone with the rest of the season. :beer:

Couldn't agree more Benny, way more important things in life then counting birds. :clapping: :clapping:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby kwacker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 pm

It has been a great season so far, as I have already seen & shot more birds now than I did all of last year. So far the total is 13 geese & 54 ducks & 3 Pheasant for good luck. My lab Kirby loves hunting pheasant. Hopefully my success will continue into the second season but only time will tell. it's really nice that I get to hunt every morning before work which helps with the amount of birds I have been getting.
Hope everyone has a great second season.
kwacker
hunter

Postby teebone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Great season in Newhampshire 26ducks 9 geese. Went to vermont for 4 days usally a great trip but not this year 6ducks 2 geese water was very low on the big lake making it hard to hunt. The best part of the year youth weekend with my son for the first time 2 ducks on opening day :smile:
teebone
hunter

Postby killnkyle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am

16 hunts 34 ducks and 2 geese...Should be more but for about a week I forgot how to shoot a shotgun lol.
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting