Babe Ruth style! Calling my shot!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Babe Ruth style! Calling my shot!

Postby hockymvp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

I am rather new to waterfowling. This is my first year bagging a bird. I've bagged three Mallards so far. Second split of Goose season is starting this weekend in Colorado. I'm calling my shot. I'll get my first Goose this year, and this is where I am going to post the picture!
hockymvp
hunter

Re: Babe Ruth style! Calling my shot!

Postby Bob Caygeon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 am

I like it! Good luck :thumbsup:
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:44 pm

I got it! First Goose! Thanksgiving morning. Called it out of a group. Came to our decoys. As soon as he got right above our pit I got him! Pictures to come soon!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:14 pm

:thumbsup:
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am

where's the pic?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:22 pm

It's coming! I have to get it off my phone. As luck would have it my digital camera wouldn't work. I should have shot that in the field too!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 pm

I still have to get my first Goose off my cell phone. BUT...I went on a hunt this Sunday with my Dad, and some friends. We slaughtered the Geese! Big day! I had to share those pictures as well. I'll post my first Goose picture from Thanksgiving real soon. Image

So much fun! Had a blast!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Check out brighton, co. I used to hunt there as a kid. Talk about geese, especially around prewitt and elliot wildlife areas...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am

Luckily, I have found hunting buddies that have a lot of private fields they can hunt. I can pick from Loveland, Frederick, Firestone, Close to Longmont, and some other places out East. I'm really thankful for that.

It was really cool for you to offer that information. I'll go check them out even though we have some spots already. I'm always up for checking out a new spot. I appreciate the information. THANK YOU!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 am

Not a problem, prewitt also has a lot of great duck hunting to hike into. Lots of ponds and a river. Elliot has a giant resevoir as well. Good luck!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:56 am

Since this is my bragging post I'll add to it. I got another Goose Christmas morning! Did it basically by myself this time too. My Dad went to the truck to warm up. It was snowing, and super cold. I called a flock of about sixty in. Two landed, and when the rest came in I let them have it. I hit one, and folded another. Then my gun jammed. At least I knocked one down though!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby bulletman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:10 pm

1) get motivated about the pics, we wanna see them and you said :biggrin:

2) clean that gooseshooter and put some synthetic oil on it (break free CLP if memory serves) and it will be a 3 shot.
bulletman
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am

I'll get on the pictures. Laziness crept in. As far as the oiling is concerned I will give that a shot. I've got an old Smith & Wesson shotty that has probably never been taken apart. I'll get down, and dirty to try and resolve that problem. I'm almost wondering if it's the ammunition though. Winchester shells seem to have a bulge in them, and they jam in my Dad's Browning as well. I tried some Kent shells a little while back, and I didn't get a single jam. Also, it was probably around 2 degrees Christmas morning. Wondering if it started freezing up.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Here are a couple more pictures from a recent hunt with my Dad. I'll get the picture of my first ever Goose from Thanksgiving day up soon!

These were from a couple weeks ago. I'm so glad to be on the birds after years of not getting a damn thing. It's such a blast to get Geese flying into your decoys!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby bulletman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Ain't it cool! I love shooting those big birds at 15 yards with their feet down. And nice pic hunting with Dad........ :thumbsup:
bulletman
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum