Directing Geese?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Directing Geese?

Postby tywhite87 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 am

Attached is a little picture I made up of one of my hunting spots. The pond is about 2 acres but the north end is deeper and more open so geese always land up there not on the south end. The white line near the "hunters" dots is a fence, on the north side of the fence is tall grass perfect for hiding and on the south side is mowed grass with not one once of anything to hide in. The geese always land in the water and swim up to sit on the bank in the mowed area, I've decided to give this setup a shot with a combo shore/water goose dekes right where the geese like to sit and a dozen or so ducks up in the corner. My question is what would you do to try and direct the geese to land in the kill zone right in front of us and not drop to the southwest of the goose dekes (close to out of range and too far right so that only one person would have a shot at them). I was kind of thinking of adding another 8-10 ducks to close it off a little more, what do you think?

tywhite87
hunter

Re: Directing Geese?

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Depends on the wind. I would think, by your description that the geese are landing where your goose decoys are placed and then swimming to shore?

If that is the case I would then slide the goose decoys in front of your hide. If they are short stopping you, you may need a little more aggressive calling. If I misunderstood your description I appologize.

Gunny
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Have you tried a layout boat in the shadow of that boat dock? I have a pond north of my home about two hours away that I can hunt. It is a very similar setup and the geese love to land out and then swim in to loaf. We also took an old boat and layed it down next to the shore. Went back a week later and hunted by laying down next to the boat in the shadows. Worked like a charm! We were able to position the boat close to where the geese landed and had to reach just a little for some long shots (35-40) yards....but it was more fun than jumping them off the water to shoot them.... The manicured lawn was also green!!! So we bough cheap green sheets from Wal-Mart to match the grass and layed them over our blinds.... Just think outside the box and you will come up with something that works! Good luck...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Went into this spot last weekend and had geese on the water already, backed out and gave them time to get up on shore and just went in and jumped them, so I didn't get to try my latest idea. But I think this weekend I'm gonna try using the dock as a blind. With the water being so low around here the whole dock is sitting on dry land with only the last foot of the dock is actually in the water so I'm going to just lay on the ground inside the "U" of the dock, the dock is built on 55 gallon drums so it sits about 20"-22" tall giving me plenty to hide behind should be a massacre if the birds are there.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Good luck! I think the dock should be just the thing to make it happen. Post on how it works out for you!

PS-Don't kill 'em all up there...I need a few to make it to Southern Missouri so I can have some fun, too...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Mowed lawn goose hunting. Your going about it all wrong. Try this.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Didn't get to try the dock as that part of the pond was still ice on saturday morning (fog was so damn thick in the morning I was literally standing on shore throwing rocks at the pond trying to find out where there was ice and where there was open water). Set up on a small strip of open water, sat from sunrise till about 11:00. Saw zero geese, had several groups of ducks come through couldn't get any of them to work worth a damn. Finally after I gave up and started picking up decoys, had all my decoys out of the water laying on shore around me wrapping lines and throwing them in my bag. Suddenly I hear wings whistling so I sling my gun off my shoulder (That's a lesson I learned long ago... Never pickup dekes without your gun handy), I spin around to see a hen and drake mallard buzz me, then look and there's two idiot drake mallards coming in on a string like I had just dumped 100lbs of corn or something, smoked them both at about 20 yards headed straight at me fast enough that one landed in the water 5 yards away and the other made it to the shore right next to me. It wasn't the way I planned but hey I'll take it... maybe the geese will be in next weekend for another try.

I was set up in the remains of an old chicken coup that makes a decent blind in a pinch. Was running a small set as numbers of birds has been really low lately. Six geese and 5 ducks (three of which where on a jerk cord). Can't see it because of the fog but the open water in front of me is only about 20-25 yards then it was ice.

tywhite87
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 pm

LOL... I almost forgot about the two best ways to get ducks or geese to work...pick up decoys or go pee... Glad you got a few anyway!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing. Nice drakes!
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum