Best diver decoys to buy ?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Fowlcrazed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 pm

G&H hands down! Can not keep paint from chipping off the GHG ones unless you baby them way to much. Do have some Progrades GHG puddlers that are holding up but are kept in slotted bags. The G&H get thrown in 55 gal drums and hold paint just fine
Fowlcrazed
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 pm


Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby NDETech1979 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/

Try this site they have just about everything you would want.

Chris
NDETech1979
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 pm

GHG ard thr way to go. I redo thd white on mine every 2 years and they still look new
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby 870 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Forget plastic!!! Go on the Internet you can still finds Herter decoys for sale. I’ve had mine for eighteen years now and haven’t looked back. You can bang, beat, shoot, run over them in your boat and they will bounce back I know I’ve done it to mine. That foam just holds paint, plastic chips too easy. If you can’t live with a shot holes or dents in them fill them with wood filler, sand, repaint and their good to go. This decoy is 18 years old, you decide
Image
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

ive hunted over GHG and G&H. i dont have any divers, but i borrow one of my buddies. he has both. the G&H he has had since he was 10. He is in his 30's now. After 20 years worth of hunting over, they still look good. He also has GHG. I am not a big fan of GHG products, but his have held up great. they have been shot, thrown around, beat to hell pretty much. They still look good. almost all have been patched, but they still look good.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 pm

870 wrote:Forget plastic!!! Go on the Internet you can still finds Herter decoys for sale. I’ve had mine for eighteen years now and haven’t looked back. You can bang, beat, shoot, run over them in your boat and they will bounce back I know I’ve done it to mine. That foam just holds paint, plastic chips too easy. If you can’t live with a shot holes or dents in them fill them with wood filler, sand, repaint and their good to go. This decoy is 18 years old, you decide
Image



Those look good. Do you have to order those through Herter's?
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 am

Back when I first bought them I did, then I ordered some through Cabela's. Just the other night I went on the Internet and saw you can still buy some on there. I forgot to mention on how they ride on the water and that is, you can't beat them.
I don’t want to have to worry about my decoys and I don’t want to baby them either. There are things about the paint job on these ones I didn’t like, so this winter I decided to repaint the whole spread. I should be done this week hopefully and I’ll post a topic on them. I went ahead and bought Herters unpainted ones to keep my cast down. Thank you and I like your signature brother :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Willie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 am

Herters are the deal...too bad they don't make them anymore...they are a really nice decoy.

To add numbers to my spread cheap, I'll also buy some older decoys off Craigslist and repaint them myself.
User avatar
Willie
hunter
 
Posts: 3997
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby washingtonmuley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

GHG
User avatar
washingtonmuley
State Moderator
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: On the Salt

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 pm

There are SO many guy out there with SO many plastic junk mallards etc..that are ALWAYS on CList....
Get a case of beer and your friends, lay them out on a tarp and just start blowing out repaints...you will have a few dozen in a weekend and they will look fine in the water.
If money is no object, sure you can go for the better stuff, but with divers, I haven't found the need.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby g_maxson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:GHG ard thr way to go. I redo thd white on mine every 2 years and they still look new


So decoys you need to paint every 2 years are the way to go?
User avatar
g_maxson
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:46 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby macdaddykeefer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Check out bigger water decoys...their a site sponsor and very good to deal with...their herters style decoys I ordered some canvasbacks and ringnecks from them
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: Summerville,SC

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

I cant speak for other parts of the country but down here u can take a dump in the water and divers will decoy. 2 litter bottles, crab corks, etc. are used around here by some to shoot just divers. However I side with u on wanting to get some good decoys cause i surely dont want to repaint my stuff every year or so. Just stating other options to u.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
User avatar
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Grand Isle, Louisiana

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Tealer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am

washingtonmuley wrote:GHG


All I run too. Foam and wood is to heavy.

870 wrote:Forget plastic!!! Go on the Internet you can still finds Herter decoys for sale. I’ve had mine for eighteen years now and haven’t looked back. You can bang, beat, shoot, run over them in your boat and they will bounce back I know I’ve done it to mine. That foam just holds paint, plastic chips too easy. If you can’t live with a shot holes or dents in them fill them with wood filler, sand, repaint and their good to go. This decoy is 18 years old, you decide
Image


How many day a season do you hunt?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 am

I'll argue that Herters arn't heavy at all. Up here divers can show up in early Oct. Counting weekends and all my vaca and personal time I save up I'm on the water hunting around five weeks each year. I would like to say all of that isn't hunting divers there are a few days I'm banging Mallards,Blacks and geese. My boat is rigged for divers and puddlers everyday, it depends on the day. To show I'm not BSing you take a look at these.
Look over top of the blind on the left side you'll see geese decoys 2/3 of my spread in these pics are divers
Image
Image
In these parts, people call my boat the slaughterhouse
Image
Last edited by 870 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

The SlaughterHouse wow!!!! Haha
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Tealer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 pm

870 wrote:I'll argue that Herters arn't heavy at all. Up here divers can show up in early Oct. Counting weekends and all my vaca and personal time I save up I'm on the water hunting around five weeks each year. I would like to say all of that isn't hunting divers there are a few days I'm banging Mallards,Blacks and geese. My boat is rigged for divers and puddlers everyday, it depends on the day. To show I'm not BSing you take a look at these.
Look over top of the blind on the left side you'll see geese decoys 2/3 of my spread in these pics are divers
Image
Image
In these parts, people call my boat the slaughterhouse
Image


I can't get a decoy to last 3 seasons, without repaint/touch ups. I spent roughly 35 to 40 days chasing divers every year.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

If their plastic I can understand that. Thats the reason I walked away from most plastic decoys. I got tired of repainting them every year or to. I have one GHG gear Can and six Redheads and four Whistlers. If you hunt over decoys your one day going to have to repaint them. With duck hunting comes work, if it was easy deer hunters would be doing it LOL
Here is my only GHG Can repaint
Image
This is a Herter 72 with a E Allan head on it. I don't like any other heads for Whistlers except E Allan. I could almost buy a half doz decoys for what that one head cast plus shipping. I'll never pull that stunt again, next time I'll order a doz. LOL
Image
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Tealer wrote:
I can't get a decoy to last 3 seasons, without repaint/touch ups. I spent roughly 35 to 40 days chasing divers every year.
i've got G&H that are over 15 years old and never painted a single one. i have no idea how many days a year i hunt on average. this year it was probably 30 to 35. no decoy bags, just piled in the boat

all of my ghg have been painted or need to be.

out of the 700 or so duck decoys i have, redhead brand are the worse, ghg and carrylite are tied for a close second.

i have G&H, plastiduck, sportsplast/carrylite, herter's, flambeau, redhead, GHG and eberhart. herter's, G&H and plastiduck are the only ones of those i will buy again.
User avatar
ncbufflehead
hunter
 
Posts: 3203
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Tealer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:47 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:
Tealer wrote:
I can't get a decoy to last 3 seasons, without repaint/touch ups. I spent roughly 35 to 40 days chasing divers every year.
i've got G&H that are over 15 years old and never painted a single one. i have no idea how many days a year i hunt on average. this year it was probably 30 to 35. no decoy bags, just piled in the boat

all of my ghg have been painted or need to be.

out of the 700 or so duck decoys i have, redhead brand are the worse, ghg and carrylite are tied for a close second.

i have G&H, plastiduck, sportsplast/carrylite, herter's, flambeau, redhead, GHG and eberhart. herter's, G&H and plastiduck are the only ones of those i will buy again.


Problem is the g&h decoys look horrible right out of the box. I would have to repaint them right outta the box.

Edit. I 12 slot bag all my decoys now. I think they should last longer in 12 slots but I only have 3 seasons on that theory so far.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby timbertime » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:38 pm

G&h are hands down my favorite but I purchased some higdon foam filled bluebills and I love them. The higdons are only 69.00 a dozen.
timbertime
hunter
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: dothan alabama

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Tealer wrote:
Problem is the g&h decoys look horrible right out of the box. I would have to repaint them right outta the box.

Edit. I 12 slot bag all my decoys now. I think they should last longer in 12 slots but I only have 3 seasons on that theory so far.

your kidding right? what g&h diver decoy needs to be repainted right out of the box?



if i've got to have a special bag, i'm not going to buy it. there's not enough room in a boat to carry 400+ decoys in 12 slot bags. why can't they make a decoy that last? because they don't care to, they want you to have to keep replacing them
User avatar
ncbufflehead
hunter
 
Posts: 3203
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby waterfowl1030 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm at work on getting a full herters diver spread. I currently have 2 dozen bluebills and a dozen redheads. They are all 72's. My plan this summer is to get a couple dozen 63's and paint them into buffys. I treat my diver decoys like sh*t and herters will hold up better than any thing out there, other than caved, but I personaly have trouble spending more money on decoys than I do on my boat. Herters are still expensive, but keep an eye on your local craigslist, you would be amazed at all the people that post stuff on there that have no idea what they have..
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
User avatar
waterfowl1030
hunter
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:02 pm
Location: Muskegon, MI

Re: Best diver decoys to buy ?

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

buy a buncha hotbuy mallards and paint them That's most cost effective and work just as good.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: S.E. PA

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests