Ninepipes?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Ninepipes?

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 am

I heard all of Ninepipes was frozen, but Flathead hasn't frozen yet? Can you tell me when Flathead will freeze and when the ducks will be there? I heard Mallards are common in the Bitterroot and Blackfoot valley has a ton of canvasback. Will someone help me find a duck to shoot? I shot a tasty hooded merganser the other day, so they will do just fine until I get to my Eurasien widgeon hole. Never seen so many beautiful hens there.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Missoula


Re: Ninepipes?

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 am

I don't know where you get your info, but Flathead lake is frozen. They've been ice fishing on it for 2 weeks!
User avatar
Bulldog0156
hunter
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Glasgow, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:04 pm

That post sounds like hes been smoken Ninepipes !
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 12832
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby klabrel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Flathead lake is frozen? I kind of find that hard to believe considering it didn't freeze much at all last year and fall mack days just wrapped up last weekend. Maybe some of the bays had/have a little ice but I'm sure most of the lake is wide open (nighttime lows have been in the mid-30's). It def hasn't been frozen for two weeks, last week I hunted tuesday and it was 60 degrees. In regards to ninepipes, yes there is a small amount of ice covering the lake with open slots here and there....tons of birds still using it. As for the river, it very rarely jams up with ice because of it's outflow from the lake (tailwaters keep pretty consistent temps and flows). There are a ton of birds trading back and forth off the river and that will continue all season I'm sure. There are plenty of opportunities around that area right now and in the near future. Scouting the areas will be your best bet for finding birds. :thumbsup:
klabrel
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby pmahler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Completely frozen solid. Apparently they will be filming an episode of Ice Road Truckers there starting at Polson & ending in Bigfork....gonna be epic. Wish all the birds weren't already South
pmahler
hunter
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Keaten LaBrel wrote:Flathead lake is frozen? I kind of find that hard to believe considering it didn't freeze much at all last year and fall mack days just wrapped up last weekend. Maybe some of the bays had/have a little ice but I'm sure most of the lake is wide open (nighttime lows have been in the mid-30's). It def hasn't been frozen for two weeks, last week I hunted tuesday and it was 60 degrees. In regards to ninepipes, yes there is a small amount of ice covering the lake with open slots here and there....tons of birds still using it. As for the river, it very rarely jams up with ice because of it's outflow from the lake (tailwaters keep pretty consistent temps and flows). There are a ton of birds trading back and forth off the river and that will continue all season I'm sure. There are plenty of opportunities around that area right now and in the near future. Scouting the areas will be your best bet for finding birds. :thumbsup:


:fingerhead: :lol: Thanks for the info, I almost cancelled my trip up there. I am coming with a layout and three dozen scooter decoy's, hoping to pick up a bunch of scooters and maybe some old squaws. I would appreciate a pm if you are able to locate any for me.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
User avatar
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am
Location: On the "X"

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby lundin-loading » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:45 am

Is the OP serious!?!?
lundin-loading
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Helena

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Super serious
User avatar
Bulldog0156
hunter
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Glasgow, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby TopWop » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Ever since the sightings of Man-Bear-Pig, the bird
numbers have diminished in the Ninepipes area.
I'm Super Serial
User avatar
TopWop
hunter
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 pm
Location: Bozeman/3Ville

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby wingnutty » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I chipped out a hole this morning using my ice auger. Then I killed 4 hen goldeneyes, 2 buffies and a hooded merg, it was epic.
wingnutty
hunter
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby lundin-loading » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Some good eats!
lundin-loading
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Helena

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I was hoping to hunt a lake a few days ago, but when I saw cows out on the ice I reconsidered :no:
User avatar
Bulldog0156
hunter
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Glasgow, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby darcher » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:42 pm

A lot of the ponds are open with skim ice. Some are frozen as of Sunday. The East Bay was frustrating for me as my layout boat is heavy and at 68 I am out of shape. I ended up dragging it out to a spot that held some birds when I arrived but they never came back. The water has really receded and the birds raft up on the open water once shooting starts. Another hunter did fairly well I judged from his shooting. I would say he knew what he was doing looking over his set up in the parking lot. I am going to post a new topic on hunting from a layout boat. I hope someone will give me some feedback. I need to get back to some basics, as I have got real sloppy and lazy. It showed when I came in with one drake.
darcher
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby rockclimber616 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Ninepipes is good to go. was there sat and sun lots of open water still...I dont know where theses boys are hunting but its been quiet warm lately. Ill be out there tomorrow am, I'll send a report.
rockclimber616
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Missoula Montana

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:08 pm

rockclimber616 wrote:Ninepipes is good to go. was there sat and sun lots of open water still...I dont know where theses boys are hunting but its been quiet warm lately. Ill be out there tomorrow am, I'll send a report.


Ya rockclimber I saw the same thing, what a bunch of idiots saying stuff is froze. Ill be there tomorrow morning also. If you see a beat up winnebago with obama/biden2012 painted on the side that will be me. Ill be grilling up some merganser poppers from the birds I shot this morning so stop by, grab some poppers and a cup of earl grey tea and we can laugh at these internet morons before heading out.

Oh, I don't have any decoy's or a dog so is it ok if I hop in with you? I sprung for a new call at walmart tonight :grooving: so I will prove to be extremely helpfull to you as I don't like to impose without bringing something to the party. Cost me $28 but I think it will pay for itself in no time.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
User avatar
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am
Location: On the "X"

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby wingnutty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:
rockclimber616 wrote:Ninepipes is good to go. was there sat and sun lots of open water still...I dont know where theses boys are hunting but its been quiet warm lately. Ill be out there tomorrow am, I'll send a report.


Ya rockclimber I saw the same thing, what a bunch of idiots saying stuff is froze. Ill be there tomorrow morning also. If you see a beat up winnebago with obama/biden2012 painted on the side that will be me. Ill be grilling up some merganser poppers from the birds I shot this morning so stop by, grab some poppers and a cup of earl grey tea and we can laugh at these internet morons before heading out.

Oh, I don't have any decoy's or a dog so is it ok if I hop in with you? I sprung for a new call at walmart tonight :grooving: so I will prove to be extremely helpfull to you as I don't like to impose without bringing something to the party. Cost me $28 but I think it will pay for itself in no time.


You can take your Earl Gray and poly call and shove um. Real men drink peppermint tea and blow Real Thangs. I'll keep an eye out for your winnie. I'll be the guy in the 2013 King Ranch with chrome spinners. I'll be limiting out hunting off the dike with my fully flocked spread and 4X grand master champion chessie.
wingnutty
hunter
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Whoa!
Ill have my carstens canvasback with the mud motor hooked up to the winney. Bought it from this wierd dude last year and have used it three times, should work perfect. And on second thought I might stick with a iced double mocha douchebag latte from Mcdonalds (no offense intended Hutch).
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
User avatar
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am
Location: On the "X"

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby wingnutty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Whoa!
Ill have my carstens canvasback with the mud motor hooked up to the winney. Bought it from this wierd dude last year and have used it three times, should work perfect. And on second thought I might stick with a iced double mocha douchebag latte from Mcdonalds (no offense intended Hutch).


He didn't tell you about the fist-sized hole in the bottom that he patched with kraft paper and paint-matched with watercolor paint, did he?

I was going to hunt today and it is raining pretty hard, I don't hunt in the rain. That is the one weather condition that I really don't enjoy while duck hunting. Hunt #32 for the year is just gonna have to wait :tongue:
wingnutty
hunter
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:26 am

I actually wasn't kidding about cows on the ice. I was up on the front.
User avatar
Bulldog0156
hunter
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Glasgow, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby rockclimber616 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 pm

PTROOFER- didn't see your post till now sorry man, I hope you limited like I did. Lots of Mallards today two large flocks came into my spread a bit to early (20 min before Sunrise), hard not to shoot when there are so many drakes. Wind was perfect, although it was a bit warm. Kicking Horse is still loaded with birds.

That patch sounds iffy,haha I hope it held up!
rockclimber616
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Missoula Montana

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby wingnutty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:42 pm

rockclimber616 wrote:
That patch sounds iffy,haha I hope it held up!


Oh hell, I don't care if it held up or not. The guy I sold it to is probably in prison by now for some ungodly deed anyhow.

Can't remember who he was, but he kept telling me how he once shared a layout blind with phutch, said it was the longest 14 seconds of his life, but that he didn't feel a thing. :hammer:
wingnutty
hunter
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Yea it was easy limits today. Kinda pissed though, I made extra poppers and tea and when you didn't show up they went to waste. Low class move dude. I called the warden for somebody shooting before legal, hope it was you. I hate that crap man. If it wasn't you, oh well, next time don't ignore my popper offer. I targeted only hermaphodite greenheads today, ended up with six of them, pretty sweet. Filled up the limit with a very beautiful fully plummed out cinnamon teal. Hardly ever see them around this late, but when I saw him I was filled with a awkward joy, that warmed me more then sharing a layout blind with Hutch. Wish I wouldn't have shot him with 3 1/2" BB's, hopefully my taxidermist can do some rebuilding. The layout boat worked real well, even with the shoddy patch.
Last edited by PTROOFER FTFOWLER on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
User avatar
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am
Location: On the "X"

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Your avatar reminds me of a deer crossing sign I saw this summer somewhere around Sula. Someone drew a huge black dong on the deer. It made me laugh.
User avatar
Bulldog0156
hunter
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Glasgow, MT

Re: Ninepipes?

Postby montana quackhead » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 am

:biggrin:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Missoula


Return to Montana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests