Decoy problems please help!!!

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Decoy problems please help!!!

Postby luciengwin4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:47 pm

I hunted Biloxi WMA last weekend for the first time diy. The first day i put out a dz mallard decoys a dz pintail and a dz gadwall. I repainted the pintails and gadwalls myself with outdoor laytex satin paint and the mallards were new. Birds would work the decoys but when gadwalls got almost into range they would flare off every time and the mottled would flare much sooner. So the second day i took out the mallards and had 2dz gadwalls and a dz pintails and the same thing happend. I need some opinions do you think it was the paint or the pintail decoys? And also i would love some recomendations of what kind of decoys i should take next time. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
luciengwin4
hunter

Re: Decoy problems please help!!!

Postby dog walker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Were you hunting out of the grass or a boat blind? Mottled ducks are much more leery than grays by the time season gets here. It almost seems like the birds saw something other than the dekes they didn't like but I could be wrong.
dog walker
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I think it maybe something more than your decoys but I do have another question for you. Are your deeks a mixed position or are they all active's? Sometimes when birds get near a spread and they all appear to be active, they get flighty because they think the birds on the water are about to get up. That's jst IMO but you might want to get some resters, sleepers, and feeders mixed in there. Also 36 decoys is alot, and osme belive it works better and IMO if the weather is brutal and cold I think it works. But if the day is sunny and clear, the birds that I've hunted tend to be spread out a bit more. Remember that you don't need to have all decoys out infront of you either, put some to the side and even several behing you. Anyways anything I said above is IMO and has worked for me. Hope you get this figured out and bag some birds! :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby luciengwin4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 pm

I hate to sound ignorant but what is IMO, we were in the grass hidden very well and yes all of my decoys are in the same position so that might be a valid point i have never thought of that, where i usually hunt the more decoys the better i didn't know that int he marsh that you could put too many out
luciengwin4
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

IMO means 'In my opinion' I'm not much of a seasoned waterfowler so giving you a forewarning that my advice not be the best. I just think that birds stay in bigger numbers when its cold so they stay out of the wind and colder temps. Warmer days they seem to be spread out because the weather doesnt bother them. I really think decoys in different postures make a difference though
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Thats what gadwalls do. The infamous gray duck waltz. Circle, circle, circle and then fly off. You keep telling yourself, "just one more pass" but it never happens. Will drive you crazy. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am

Sounds to me like mentioned above, typical gadwall behavior. They either bomb straight in and never circle or circle for 30 minutes then just leave as if they never knew you were there. If its all of the ducks acting the same way at the same range, it could also be due to over calling or calling too loud. I have seen ducks literally be blown out of decoys spreads. I for sure dont think your decoy spread being big would cause this though. I agree with you on the more the better! Also think about where you parked your boat if you had one. Thinking you had it hidden way off from where you actually standing may be in fact in direct line of siight with where the ducks where setting up to commit. Just a few suggestions..
AaronR
hunter

Postby luciengwin4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 am

i had the boat hidden well in a little slip where it couldn't be seen at all and i only called when the birds were going away and i felt like they had stopped working and most birds would come straight down and then flair when they got right out of range they never circled thats why i feel like it had something to do with the decoys bc we were hidden so well that we couldn't see the birds till they were cupped and about to be on the decoys
luciengwin4
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 pm

I dont know man. May have been something with your decoy placement. Did you try moving them around any? Were you using any spinners or anything like that?
AaronR
hunter

Postby luciengwin4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm

no i didn't move them they were just spread out in front of us about twenty yards with and opening in front the wind was blowing them good but i didn't have any spinners
luciengwin4
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting