Etiquette pointers

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Etiquette pointers

Postby QuacknStrut » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Without getting too preachy, can everyone put up a few of pointers about how to be courteous to fellow duck hunters. I'll start.

1) If someone beats you to the greatest spot in the world you have been scouting for weeks, chalk it up as a lesson learned and get there earlier next time. It is NOT okay to horn right in on top of them. Had a guy last year try to set up, without lights on, 75 yards directly in front of our decoys. We could not shoot at decoying birds if he had remained there. I pointed out that it was not safe FOR HIM to be there. To his credit, he did move.

2) Have a plan A, B,C, D, E and F for every hunt. If you miss your spot, work down the list.

3) Respect birds working other hunters decoy spreads. We hunted about 100 yards from some guys a few years back. We were facing quartering away from each other with some trees blocking any possibility of us shooting each other (we were there first but they rode over and asked if we agreed it was safe to set up like they intended). We and them then proceeded to let the birds work and only shoot birds decoying our own spreads. We and they passed up outside flaring shots to allow them to work and sometimes they came to our blocks and sometimes to theres. It was awesome. They limited before us (there were only 2 of them), but we finished a short time later and exchanged handshakes at the ramp as we left. Gentleman duck hunters for sure.

Good luck all. have fun, be safe AND courteous.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Re: Etiquette pointers

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:47 pm

1. Keep the noise to a minimum. There is nothing more annoying to me than hearing somebody in the distance or close whatever the case may be, and listen to guns and decoys banging on the boat or two guys yelling at each other especially right before LST.
2. As said previously, be courteous to others. Don't ruin somebody's hunt as well as your own because you were not prepared.
3. Respect the resource. Don't kill something you don't intense to eat or use. Nothing I hate more than hearing "we just shoot them for target practice." Its called wanton waste and you can be fines a large bill.
4. Don't be stupid! The excuse "I didn't know" is probably the worst you can say, especially if you're talking to the FWC. If you don't the rules and regulations by heart then you need to stay at home.

Other than that be safe and respectful of other hunters.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 am

You guys have nailed most of it.

I will add to get your stuff ready before you get to the boat ramp. Don't be that guy that clogs up the boat ramp for minutes on end loading stuff in the boat, unstrapping it, testing to make sure the motor starts, etc...all while the line to put in is 20+ trucks deep and everyone else is already ready to put in. (I was one of those guys in line waiting for the moron for a good 10 minutes while he clogged up the ramp 2 years back on opening day.)
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 am

This thread should be made a sticky, It pretty much covers everything we all should abide by.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=169470
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:35 am

A good points & please know the range of your weapon. You are not going to kill that bird 150 yards up in the air so why shoot??

Basically its treat people how you would like to be treated. Remember its public property so there is not such thing as this is MY spot, its first come first severed!

Good luck to all this weekend.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby BigBend » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 am

waterdogds wrote:This thread should be made a sticky, It pretty much covers everything we all should abide by.

Your wish has been granted
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 am

BigBend wrote:
waterdogds wrote:This thread should be made a sticky, It pretty much covers everything we all should abide by.

Your wish has been granted

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 am

One I've said before...

Leave the area cleaner than how you found it. I hate seeing spent shells floating all around the water... I make it a rule to pick up at least one peice of trash, even if its on land at the boat ramp.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 am

tknight006 wrote:spent shells floating all around the water...

Oh come on, that is how you find the good spots when you go out next time! :lol3:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 am

Absolutely awesome advice.

Give a boat that is already set up some room. Don't run through and mess up their spread.

Don't scream cuss and holler when you see someone in "your" spot. Anyone on the lake can hear your motor talk, and its just unnecessary. Tip your cap, and get up earlier next time.

Before dawn isn't scouting time. Everywhere you drive you run birds off the lake. Know where your going, follow the main trails and get to your spot and shut it off.

Just because you turn your lights off, doesn't mean you can set up 100 yards away. We can still hear you and its still not cool.

The bottom line is this; treat other hunters with the respect you wish to receive. Do that, and everyone wins.

Good luck this weekend boys. Stay safe!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am

Ichabod97 wrote:
tknight006 wrote:spent shells floating all around the water...

Oh come on, that is how you find the good spots when you go out next time! :lol3:

LOL.... that is sooo true.. However, on the other hand... Nothing like scouting for weeks and thinking you have found an excellent honey hole... only to get there and see fresh shells... so depressing knowing someone was already there the day before.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Sure wish some of the knuckleheads on lake Seminole opening weekend had read this thread. What a riDONKulous zoo it was. Glad when the opening weekend warriors are gone and the real duck hunting can start. Good luck everyone.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby jedisme » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 pm

QuacknStrut wrote:Sure wish some of the knuckleheads on lake Seminole opening weekend had read this thread. What a riDONKulous zoo it was. Glad when the opening weekend warriors are gone and the real duck hunting can start. Good luck everyone.

Gave up hunting there a few years ago. The swamps and the few private lands I have access to have kept the dog tired and me eager to go.
jedisme
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

OK, saw something today in the marsh here in FL.

Shoot at birds that are in range to you and not working someone else's spread....in other words, do not sky bust! You are ruining the hunt for others when you are blasting away at birds 60-90 yards away!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Re: Re: Etiquette pointers

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:OK, saw something today in the marsh here in FL.

Shoot at birds that are in range to you and not working someone else's spread....in other words, do not sky bust! You are ruining the hunt for others when you are blasting away at birds 60-90 yards away!

Y'all have that problem up in va? Or does the blind laws help regulate that nonsense?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Etiquette pointers

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55 am

Hunted a public lake out here not to long ago. Same problems. Except we had pintails working and not Blackjacks so you can only imagine my frustration
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:36 am

The blind laws keep people from hunting so close together, but I have noticed not as much sky busting down on the bay. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I sure got my season's fill in one day out on a north FL WMA on Wednesday. :lol3:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Return to Florida Duck Hunting