dairyfarm blind

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

dairyfarm blind

Postby cut-emnova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 am

anyone know of a good way to make a blind in a grass field? a farm i hunt is mainly just super short grass where cows graze, not too much to blend in with. although there are fences and a couple tree lines... any help would be awesome
cut-emnova
hunter

Re: dairyfarm blind

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 am

Ground blind, or pit? I doubt the farmer is going to want a pit in a field his Holsteins are in! They are so stupid they will fall in. :yes:

We have two blind and one in corn and one in grass. Old dried green grass and we refresh it the morning of the hunt with pulled grass from around the field. Depending on the cows, they less you move the better. The more you move, the more they become interested in you. They will come right up behind you and smell you. Then start to smell, drool on and knock over and maybe break the decoys. You can spend enough time chasing away the cows to bust you when birds come.

Every field and group of cows is different. My buddy has a field and the milk cows are just annoying and watch from a distance. Another buddy had a field and you could not hunt in it. They about hassled you just walking through the field to retrieve one that sailed. They would even roll dead geese around like a soccer ball. :yes: Like bored kids. :lol3:

Bring grass in feed bags if you have to. Extra grass piled around the bottom of the blinds really blends them in even in short grass. Setup in a depression if you can. Bad news is bring new gras into a cow pasture is like waving candy in front of kids. :lol3:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Ideally if you have to set up out in the grass, digging in would be the best way. Gets your ground blind nice and low, eliminates a good portion of your profile. But, thats probably not an option since his lively hood grazes out there. So, If you can set up along the edge then i would definitely do that. IMO, you have a better chance at hiding there than out in the middle of the field. Otherwise you gonna have to stuff your blinds as full as you can of some Killer Weed Winter Wheat grass or similar alternative and stack em as close together as you can. Bring extra grass to fill in around the blinds to get rid of your profile and as much of the shadows as you can. If you have lots of decoys id bring them all out to help hide you. Big spread, safety in numbers. It might just work. Good luck.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby saw dust » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:04 am

I hunt a tilled corn field and the farmer planted rye grass in it. the grass is kind of sparse and only about 3 in high. I am going to try something new to me this weekend . I picked up a scrap pice of curlex (it is a mat used for bank erosion. It is a thin mesh caked with curly stringy wood shavings.) I also picked up some ritz dye. I am going to attempt to dye the mat to mach the grass coller then use bobby pins to attach it to my layout. I think it will look good if I can get the dye coller close. It is low profile so it wount look fluffy in a flat field and you can pull some of the matting appart to expose a mudded section of blind. That should match my field somewhat well. I hope!!
saw dust
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:39 am

you could try coverin up in cow $hit??

sorry man, couldent resist!
:beer:
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby cut-emnova » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:you could try coverin up in cow $hit??

sorry man, couldent resist!
:beer:

:lol: not such a bad idea...
cut-emnova
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 pm

I read once where a guy made a "cow "blind out of plywood...
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 am

Just grass up your layout blinds real good. Often in a pasture the grass is short so we search around for longer grass of a similar texture. Blue grass is much finer textured than reed canary. I am really picky about grassing my blind up. I will often grass it up the night before and leave it some where the cattle can't get at it till moving it into place the next day.

I like to set my layout blind ~15-20 yards off to the side of my decoys in short cover. I don't use decoys to hide my blind, since I use small spreads. With my blind off to the side the birds usuaaly pay no attention to it. I really prefer to have the birds decoying in front of me from right to left or left to right. I don't want incoming birds looking at me. I want to be off to the side if possible.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:50 am

As oddd as this may sound... you could in fact use a cow sillouette to hide behind if all else fails
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum