Louisiana's Hunter Harassment law...

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm glad it is the strongest in the country. I've been following this thread at Louisianasportsman.com
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=view&action=full_report&id=165761&sid=d96343ca635e788f3d01aec7e9976e00

wish I could remember my log in I.D. or I would post this there as well...
Anyone that approaches an occupied blind with the intent to disrupt that parties hunt is in violation of the law:

No person shall engage in any of the following activities on lands or waters managed by the state pursuant to R.S. 56:781 through R.S. 56:787, or upon private lands or waters where a hunter, trapper, or fisherman has been given permission by the owner or his agent to take wild animals:

(1) Interfere with the lawful taking of a wild animal by a hunter, trapper, or fisherman or interfere with the process of taking, with intent to prevent the taking.
End of discussion. Once you put that brush in the mud and leave it-you have no claim to it. If you try to take it while someone is in the blind, you are breaking the law....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Louisiana's Hunter Harassment law...

Postby Toledo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Man, what a crap storm. Glad to see Larry taking a stand. Im really not against blinds on public. Like was mentioned, its the perceived control of the hunting area thats the problem. I wont hunt other foks blinds but if thats where the birds are you can bet I will hunt next to it.

I do wish we had a no decoys left on public land overnight law for the entire state. Every year at TB we scout early in the day on Thursday or Friday for opener. We show back up in the middle of the night Friday night to make sure we get the spot we want. 9/10 times we show back up to find decoys where we planned to hunt that someone set out the afternoon before trying to hold the spot so they could sleep in. We always leave them alone and hunt as if they arent there but we arent about to move to a crappy spot. Its been a major source of issue on many early mornings. This year I thought we were going to see a bunch of foks start shooting over it a couple hundred yards away. Inbred retard shows up at 4:30 and starts running his boat through everyones spread trying to find out who took his decoys. He actually came out and said "i was holding this spot with my decoys". Things got pretty heated when he figured out which group picked them up the evening before. The dumass even ran his mouth about wanting to woop us for setting up on top of him even though we were the first ones there AND we were 200 yards away from where he planned to hunt. He actually truely believed that was supposed to be his hunting area since he set decoys out the night before.

Luckily cooler heads tend to prevail when it comes down to it but its only a matter of time before things go bad on a peice of public property over someone spot holding. Our group for opener usually has 10-12 hunters and this other group had just as many. Mix in loaded shotguns, sleep deprivation, and high tempers and thing could get real bad.
Toledo
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Toledo wrote:Man, what a crap storm. Glad to see Larry taking a stand. Im really not against blinds on public. Like was mentioned, its the perceived control of the hunting area thats the problem. I wont hunt other foks blinds but if thats where the birds are you can bet I will hunt next to it.

I do wish we had a no decoys left on public land overnight law for the entire state. Every year at TB we scout early in the day on Thursday or Friday for opener. We show back up in the mi :fingerpt: ddle of the night Friday night to make sure we get the spot we want. 9/10 times we show back up to find decoys where we planned to hunt that someone set out the afternoon before trying to hold the spot so they could sleep in. We always leave them alone and hunt as if they arent there but we arent about to move to a crappy spot. Its been a major source of issue on many early mornings. This year I thought we were going to see a bunch of foks start shooting over it a couple hundred yards away. Inbred retard shows up at 4:30 and starts running his boat through everyones spread trying to find out who took his decoys. He actually came out and said "i was holding this spot with my decoys". Things got pretty heated when he figured out which group picked them up the evening before. The dumass even ran his mouth about wanting to woop us for setting up on top of him even though we were the first ones there AND we were 200 yards away from where he planned to hunt. He actually truely believed that was supposed to be his hunting area since he set decoys out the night before.

Luckily cooler heads tend to prevail when it comes down to it but its only a matter of time before things go bad on a peice of public property over someone spot holding. Our group for opener usually has 10-12 hunters and this other group had just as many. Mix in loaded shotguns, sleep deprivation, and high tempers and thing could get real bad.

While your at it we need to have a time limit to leave the launch so some idiots dont show up in the middle of the night on public water to try to hold a spot either........... :lol3: So my decoys can't hold a spot for me but you setting up and camping out on the spot should hold it for you? I get it, as long as its your rules it's ok. :huh:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Toledo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

POKER1 wrote: While your at it we need to have a time limit to leave the launch so some idiots dont show up in the middle of the night on public water to try to hold a spot either........... So my decoys can't hold a spot for me but you setting up and camping out on the spot should hold it for you? I get it, as long as its your rules it's ok.

:yes: :yes: :yes: First come, first serve. Early bird gets the worm. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Toledo
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:56 am

Toledo wrote:
POKER1 wrote: While your at it we need to have a time limit to leave the launch so some idiots dont show up in the middle of the night on public water to try to hold a spot either........... So my decoys can't hold a spot for me but you setting up and camping out on the spot should hold it for you? I get it, as long as its your rules it's ok.

:yes: :yes: :yes: First come, first serve. Early bird gets the worm. :yes: :yes: :yes:

No kidding! Get your lazy ass out the bed or quit your bitchin!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:00 am

Illinois has strong hunter harassment laws as well. One problem, who are you going to call. Our budget has cut IDNR to the bones, CPO's and county law enforcement are stretched thin as well. Not knocking any of them it is just that way here. Have a plan to handle situations on your own and know the site specific rules is all I can suggest.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Sclf » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:58 am

The problem is perceived "owning" of public land. I've always wanted to hunt catahoula lake but have heard so many stories of hunter harassment. It stinks that our tax dollars go to keep up these amazing wma's yet so many people are discouraged from hunting them because they don't want to deal with the trouble of other hunters. Problem is, how do you police it? If someone shows up threatening you in the middle of the marsh, who you gonna call? I believe the wardens should be almost as concerned with these issues as they are with illegal hunting and poaching.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 am

Sclf wrote:The problem is perceived "owning" of public land. I've always wanted to hunt catahoula lake but have heard so many stories of hunter harassment. It stinks that our tax dollars go to keep up these amazing wma's yet so many people are discouraged from hunting them because they don't want to deal with the trouble of other hunters. Problem is, how do you police it? If someone shows up threatening you in the middle of the marsh, who you gonna call? I believe the wardens should be almost as concerned with these issues as they are with illegal hunting and poaching.

there have been sting operations on some WMA's where federal and state wardens pull into blinds and wait for trouble makers. The tickets stick too.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby teaves2257 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:16 pm

So what about other public areas that are not WMA's?
teaves2257
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 pm

teaves2257 wrote:So what about other public areas that are not WMA's?

still applies as far as hunter harassment. If someone interferes with your hunt intentionally, they are breaking the law.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Sclf » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Sclf wrote:The problem is perceived "owning" of public land. I've always wanted to hunt catahoula lake but have heard so many stories of hunter harassment. It stinks that our tax dollars go to keep up these amazing wma's yet so many people are discouraged from hunting them because they don't want to deal with the trouble of other hunters. Problem is, how do you police it? If someone shows up threatening you in the middle of the marsh, who you gonna call? I believe the wardens should be almost as concerned with these issues as they are with illegal hunting and poaching.

there have been sting operations on some WMA's where federal and state wardens pull into blinds and wait for trouble makers. The tickets stick too.

Glad to hear that. If those sting operations become a real threat and people talk about them, then it would start to dissuade people from harassing each other.
Of course, I believe if they didn't allow permanent or semi permanent blinds then a lot of this would go away on its own. I would hate to see the officials throw their hands up because of all the disputes and just start doing lottery hunts everywhere. Then we all lose.
Sclf
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
teaves2257 wrote:So what about other public areas that are not WMA's?

still applies as far as hunter harassment. If someone interferes with your hunt intentionally, they are breaking the law.

I will remember this, we have a bad problem with harassment in our area.
teaves2257
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Here is the problem with that. WHO is going to enforce it? You think your going to call the police and they will be right out to issue some tickets. We set up on a flat for teal 2 hours before legal only to have some idiots pull up 15 minutes before shooting time 50-60 yards away and squeeze in between us and another group that set up about 150 yards away 20 minuntes earlier than they did. So we had 2 groups set up within 150 yards from us that morning. After about 45 minutes a GW who was hiding near by starts making his rounds to check every one. We mention the issue of the other hunters setting up on us and skyblasting, which he witnessed happen, and that it caused us to miss out on birds that morning not to mention being very dangerous. GW said we had to call out the sheriffs office if we wanted to press charges of harrasment because the WL&F did not get involved with it. So who is going to enforce it? The SO wasnt going to launch a boat to come out there to ticket someone for harrassment.
POKER1
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am

I agree with POKER on this one. NO ONE WILL ENFORCE THIS. I would say at least 5 of my hunts this past week I had guys mad becasue they got to the area late so they would do everything in their power to TRY and keep us from killing ducks. We still managed to kill a good many but mainly because those guys would leave early. People need to learn how to respect other hunters on public land. If you show up late or get beat to the spot, go somewhere different! I always have a plan B,C, and D just in case. I just cant understand why a person would waste a whole day of duck hunting by acting like a mad little kid. Blows my mind...I am still young but I respect other hunters because I know if I am patient I will kill ducks as well.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am

AaronR wrote:I agree with POKER on this one. NO ONE WILL ENFORCE THIS. I would say at least 5 of my hunts this past week I had guys mad becasue they got to the area late so they would do everything in their power to TRY and keep us from killing ducks. We still managed to kill a good many but mainly because those guys would leave early. People need to learn how to respect other hunters on public land. If you show up late or get beat to the spot, go somewhere different! I always have a plan B,C, and D just in case. I just cant understand why a person would waste a whole day of duck hunting by acting like a mad little kid. Blows my mind...I am still young but I respect other hunters because I know if I am patient I will kill ducks as well.

the only way they can enforce it is with a sting operation on a repeat offender. I know it happens and they do enforce the law.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AaronR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Thats good that they do enforce it in areas. Maybe at some point they will do that up here.
AaronR
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting