First time Duck Hunting

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

First time Duck Hunting

Postby EmartTX » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi there, I'm new to the Hunting Community. I've always liked the great outdoors and always wanted to go hunting. I just completed my Hunters Education and I'm excited to go duck hunting. Can anyone give me pointers? I would really appreciate it. I don't have any friends that share the same love for the outdoors and all it has to offer.
EmartTX
hunter

Re: First time Duck Hunting

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Where do u live in Texas? And duck hunting is a BIG first step into hunting... Alot of work, money, blood, and sacrifice comes with it... Just a heads up...

But :welcome:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I'll give you the same advice I gave this guy.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=210738&start=0#p1893154

Welcome to DHC by the way :welcome:
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby EmartTX » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 am

Thank you guys. I agree, it takes dedication and doing your homework to have a great hunt. It can get expensive for sure, but i've been shooting since a young age, I just haven't been hunting. I wish i knew more people that shared the same likings , but i dont and thats why i join this site. Its been great so far, i know with time i'll get it. I just wanted to see what other hunters would suggest. I can see how most wouldn't want to share their spots. :) i just wanted to get pointers etc. My first hunt will be guided for sure. I'll be going down to Rockport,Tx. I live in Houston so its about a 3 hr drive.
EmartTX
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 am

:welcome:

The first thing you will notice is there is a HUGE difference between "shooting" and hunting, that being said, when going from shooting at a target (still or moving) to an animal (still or moving) is a totally different world.

Getting into duck hunting right off the bat is tough, there are a lot of things to pick up on and its a good idea to go with a guide like you are doing. Besides there being the "technical" skills to duck hunting, there are a lot of policies, traditions, and ethics that goes hand in hand with our great obsession.

Have fun and don't let everything you have seen on tv and video/dvd's fool you. Im sure you will find this out later on.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby EmartTX » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks duckdude. I know its going to be a challenge. :) i can only imagine how difficult its going to be trying to hit a moving bird. I respect the great outdoors and all it has to offer, and i know duck hunting is rich with tradition. You have no idea how excited i am. Hopefully i can share this with my son as he gets older. My father didn't have the means to do such things when we were young, but I'm always thankful he did take me to the range.

Out in the great outdoors! what else can i ask for! :)
EmartTX
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Waterfowling is only as expensive as you want it to be but if you want to do it on the cheap you have to make conssesions. You don't need a 12ga beneli, berreta, browning, or winchester auto with a black or camo paint job to hunt ducks with. While a used wood bolt action 12ga at under a $150 will do. You don't need the last and greatest camo or for that matter any of the blend camos to hunt duck esp. in TX which I always think of as being hot. A long sleeved khaki shirt will do, if cold a earth tone work coat will be fine. You don't need expensive decoys while $30/12 hot buys will work for water or field use. Or you could make your own wood, cork, or canvas decoys floatin decoys. Or some silhouettes from campaign signs. You can't get around the price of gas, well you could always go to electric. For the amount of shooting most duck hunters do reloading is not practicle but straight steel shot is inexpensive. Waders are also pretty much unadvoidable unless you can walk on water. Lastly you do not need choke tubes, calls , or mojos to hunt ducks. Welcome to the world of waterfowling also don't fall off the boat the water tends to be cold in winter. :welcome: :biggrin:
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby EmartTX » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 am

thanks ksfowler. We will try not to fall off the boat. :)
EmartTX
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Spend the summer fishing and scouting the local waterways to find where the ducks are. If you scout it will pay off in the fall and winter. Go to the range and shoot some skeet. Start out small with a dozen decoys or so. Duck hunting is much easier in pairs. It can be done alone but it is twice as difficult. Oh yeah pattern your weapon. Draw a 30 inch circle put a dot in the middle and count the number of pellets that fall within circle. They pellets should be spread out. You need to hit a duck with at least 3-5 pellets.

Good luck.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Greentimber70 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

ksfowler166 wrote:Waterfowling is only as expensive as you want it to be but if you want to do it on the cheap you have to make conssesions. You don't need a 12ga beneli, berreta, browning, or winchester auto with a black or camo paint job to hunt ducks with. While a used wood bolt action 12ga at under a $150 will do. You don't need the last and greatest camo or for that matter any of the blend camos to hunt duck esp. in TX which I always think of as being hot. A long sleeved khaki shirt will do, if cold a earth tone work coat will be fine. You don't need expensive decoys while $30/12 hot buys will work for water or field use. Or you could make your own wood, cork, or canvas decoys floatin decoys. Or some silhouettes from campaign signs. You can't get around the price of gas, well you could always go to electric. For the amount of shooting most duck hunters do reloading is not practicle but straight steel shot is inexpensive. Waders are also pretty much unadvoidable unless you can walk on water. Lastly you do not need choke tubes, calls , or mojos to hunt ducks. Welcome to the world of waterfowling also don't fall off the boat the water tends to be cold in winter. :welcome: :biggrin:

ksfowler pretty much covered all the bases. Great advice! There's a lot of gear on the market that's made to get the hunter's wallet, not the game. You have to budget and prioritize when buying gear. Do some research and get the best pair of waders you can afford. Leaky waders will ruin your hunt and can be a safety issue. Motion is key in waterfowling. Rig up your own jerk line. You don't need expensive motion dekes. Don't over call. If the birds want in, let em come. And, this is a biggy, learn to accuratley judge ranges. To get a visual image go to a footbal field and set up dekes at known yardage, or use a rangefinder, 100' tape whaterver works. But learn how to estimate range. This is something many experienced hunters think they can do and can't and it's the cause of a lot of problems. It is unethical to make long crippling shots. Not to mention skybusting is a major breech of waterfowl etique. The fact that your man enough to ask for advice tells me you give a hoot and should be a welcome member of the fowlin community. Be ware though, once you get the fever there is no getting rid of it! :beer:
Greentimber70
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting