Decoying Woodies

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoying Woodies

Postby colebyrob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 am

Me and my buddies were scouting out one of our wood duck holes on the river. we had about 25-30 wood ducks come to our hole but they all flew in like they were going to land but flared off. i know we didn't scare them because we were watching about 150 yds up the river. i was wondering if we put out decoys would this encourage the ducks to land in our hole even though wood ducks don't really decoy that well? Any help appreciated.
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Re: Decoying Woodies

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Wouldn't hurt to try.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Jump » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:46 pm

It would help and they would land in the dekes but wood ducks are very species specific. The decoys (or at least some of them) would need to be wood ducks.
Jump
hunter

Postby colebyrob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I have 6 GHG Pro Grade Wood Ducks so ill just put them out
colebyrob
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 pm

wooducks have always decoyed well for me.. just not responsive to calls really in my opinion. But they usually jet right on in my spread.... id deff use woodie dekes though.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Blackace1105 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I have always had good luck decoying Woodies, from my experience, they have been one of the easierst for me. The key is in your set ups, they gotta look real.
Blackace1105
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 am

Put out a few woody decoys on a jerk cord, get a duck commander woody call dont blow the squeal with it use it to blow a whine and a few clucks with it. Woodies make about 20 different sounds but the squeal they only make when flying. go to you tube and check some videos on blowing the call. when some fly by blow the call and lightly pull the jerk cord. if they land outside of shooting range, lightly use the jerk cord and some woody on the water calls and they will swim right in. you can call and decoy woodies, i hear people say all the time that woodies don't respond to calls or decoys. I've taken a few people hunting just to prove it. I've been doing this since I was a kid on the creeks and bayous here in louisiana and it works. imo woodies are the easiest to call and decoy b/c they don't circle if they don't land on the first pass by they will come around and go straight in.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby teal12 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Today me and two buddies set out twenty floating geese, and four dozen mallards with three mojos and had three flocks of woodies come in and decoy really well. We had tons of movement with the wind today.
teal12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:22 am

Never owned a wood duck decoy, but have shot a lot of decoying woodies. If they're just passing your spread, they've likely someplace else in mind. If they're "flaring," it may not be your spread so much as something spooky in your setup.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby FlatLiner13 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Most Wood ducks have their minds set on where they want to be, I remember a few years ago it took us several trips of them flying by on a local creek to find out where they were going. We would always put out 3 decoys some would come in for a look but most would just keep flying on by. Every time we moved further and further in the direction they were going, finally while scouting one morning we saw where they were ending up. The next day we went there put 2 drake and 1 hen wood duck dekes out on a jerk string. We killed our limit incredibly fast and have been since, we let it rest for a week or two during the season and then its game on. If your hunting other ducks two or three wood ducks may help, but if your targeting wood ducks go find where they are wating to go. Put no more than 3 dekes out and you will be in for some fun, just my $0.02
FlatLiner13
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm

most of the replys to this thread are nonsense... whoever told you woodies don't decoy are wrong... species specific doubt it... I've killed plenty of wood ducks by scouting a spot where they are and throwing out some decoys like a normal hunt(they don't even have to be woodie decoys)

They might not circle you 10 times like mallards do but wood ducks will defiantly decoy.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby colebyrob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 pm

I hunted them this past weekend and threw out 6 decoys and the ducks responded very well to the decoys. Some fell in on the first pass by and others flew up river and came in on the second pass.I will defiantly be using woody deeks from now on.
colebyrob
hunter

Postby novaman2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm just wondering when is the appropriate time to hunt a woodie roost?
novaman2
Newb

Postby colebyrob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:10 am

novaman2 wrote:I'm just wondering when is the appropriate time to hunt a woodie roost?

You are supposed to in the afternoon but most of the birds come in after LST. I would either pass shoot them going in to roost or just not hunt it because you can really ruin a roost hole by hunting it.
colebyrob
hunter

Postby rammajamma » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Woodies decoy really well from my experience. I am not sold having to have wood duck decoys either. I use mallards and they come in just fine. Once they fly over hit the duck commander wood duck call and watch'em turn. They will come in fast.
rammajamma
hunter

Postby BobF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 am

Woodies in my part of Pa will come into a mixed spread but always land near their own kind. I always throw out 1 or 2 just in case there are any in the area. Yesterday had a lone teal come into that part of the spread. I also put them closer to any partially submerged logs and closer to shore then my mallards or blacks.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting