Sbe2 sure cycle vs wolf recoil spring

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Sbe2 sure cycle vs wolf recoil spring

Postby loon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 pm

I have a 8 yr old SBE2 it worked perfectly for the first 6yrs then despite thorough cleaning it started to not load the 2nd round I replaced it with the expensive stainless steel sure cycle thing from cabelas. Worked great for awhile now same thing is happening and the bolt doesn't seem to slam shut with much authority . Do I now need a wolf spring? Yes I'm cleaning it regularly ***!?!
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Sbe2 sure cycle vs wolf recoil spring

Postby hunter1967 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

try checking the inside of the bolt for any burrs, as well as the chamber edges. might try and replace the firing pin spring as well. had the same problem with my stoeger2000 and found a small burr inside the channel that the firing pin goes through. I also have a sbeII but have had no problems with it as of yet. if you cant replace that firing pin spring right away, try and stretch it to give it a little more tension and then try firing it and see if problem persists. if the bolt is not seating in the chamber all the way, its because its catching on something and the firing pin spring doesn't have enough tension to rotate bolt into the chamber. search for and smooth all rough edges with emery paper and test fire. hope that somewhat helps you out...can always call benelli as well. I dont think you need a new recoil spring, the bolt housing itself can seat along the rails, but if the bolt catches on something it wont properly seat in the chamber.
hunter1967
hunter

Postby william costa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:15 pm

his problem is not with firing it is with cycling,if all u shoot is heavy hi brass loads then put a wolf 25% stiffer recoil spring and magazine spring in it.i guess the wolf spring will work in the sure cycle tube not sure though.i would have tried the wolff spring first before the hi dollar sure cycle though.the springs are cheap and worth the effort.
william costa
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I agree, dont do anything with the firing pin spring, yes a wolff spring will fit the sure cycle tube, and if possible use the orginal plunger that came with your benelli not the sure cycle plunger, the benelli plunger is a much better design,,, get the wolff spring for 12 bucks that will probably help you out.
rerhardt
hunter

Postby Indtruckman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Replace your carrier, that fix my problem and made sure you have the SRM spring for duck load.
Indtruckman
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Wolff spring in both mag and recoil..........best thing you can do for a Benelli
The Drake
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't have any original parts/plunger so I hope I can use the sure cycle and just do the spring. Is the magazine spring that important ? I know the recoil spring is important
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby daffy... » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:49 pm

i had to file my chamber a little to get a good fit. it was getting sharp edges and damaging the brass when chambering
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 am

daffy... wrote:i had to file my chamber a little to get a good fit. it was getting sharp edges and damaging the brass when chambering

Daffy, did your problem get fixed? No more mangled brass?

Definitely go with the Wolff spring, only $12 and will most likely solve your situation. For either Benelli M2/SBE2, if you constantly shoot magnum loads for waterfowl the 25%+ spring is the best thing you can do for your gun. Mag spring isn't as crucial in the M2 as it may be in the SBE2.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 am

QUESTION:

How often have you taken apart and completly cleaned out your recoil spring tube (part # 37) ?

You should be doing that at least once a year.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117 ... e1list.jpg
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Huntbuck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 am

Agree on cleaning out the tube... had cycling issue and esseitialy a single shot SBE2... when dissasembled I had cat tail reeds all through the gun, including the tube. This year no issues, but waterfowlhunter sent me the wolf spring which I will put in just to be sure.
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:51 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:
daffy... wrote:i had to file my chamber a little to get a good fit. it was getting sharp edges and damaging the brass when chambering

Daffy, did your problem get fixed? No more mangled brass?

Definitely go with the Wolff spring, only $12 and will most likely solve your situation. For either Benelli M2/SBE2, if you constantly shoot magnum loads for waterfowl the 25%+ spring is the best thing you can do for your gun. Mag spring isn't as crucial in the M2 as it may be in the SBE2.

yep that helped
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum