First Hunt, First Retrieve.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

First Hunt, First Retrieve.

Postby waterdogds » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

This weekends opener was my pups first real hunt. Her first retrieve at 8 months old. It wasn't a flawless retrieve, but she left the boat with my command and brought him back. To say I'm very proud of her is an understatement. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMAG0349.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Re: First Hunt, First Retrieve.

Postby BigBend » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Man she has grown since the first couple of pics you posted. Congrats
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm

That's awesome bud. It's great to see hard work come together and say off
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby WarDucks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Ike, future duck dog. 4th lab I've owned, but first I'm training for duck hunting. Looking forward to it! And congrats on your pup.
Shut Up And Hunt
WarDucks
hunter

Postby WarDucks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Ike, future duck dog. 4th lab I've owned, but first I'm training for duck hunting. Looking forward to it! And congrats on your pup.
Attachments
image.jpg
Shut Up And Hunt
WarDucks
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks guys, I couldn't be happier with her progress thus far. :thumbsup: WarDucks....that's a good looking dog, have fun with him and you can't go wrong.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:25 am

hey if you ever want to get together and train some pups let me know. I think were in the same general area. I have two dogs im running right now and working on a buddys pup. Always looknig for training partners. makes life easier!!

Congrats on the hard work paying off!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:10 am

Went out again this morning and I loosened the reins a bit more so to say. She picked up all three. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMAG0352.jpg
waterdogds
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 am

hunt-chessies wrote:hey if you ever want to get together and train some pups let me know. I think were in the same general area. I have two dogs im running right now and working on a buddys pup. Always looknig for training partners. makes life easier!!

Congrats on the hard work paying off!!!

Thanks hunt-chessies. I live just south of Tallahassee near the coast. I would love the opportunity to learn more training techniques and see how a real trainer works pups. I'm no trainer. I've just applied what I've read in repetition and she has taken to it without much hesitation. I hope she continues to progress, as I'm most excited about the thought of what she could be.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am

having seen chessies pup work, he def knows a thing or two about training retrievers
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm

thanks whak.... I'm just another duck hunter like yall, im not a dog trainer. Just a redneck that decided he's too lazy to go get his own birds all the time. Honestly not wanting to go get them myself and the fact that training keeps me in the woods "pretending to hunt" the rest of the year is what drove me to really get into it. it's a way i can keep my hunting season going. My wife dont love that so much but i sure do...

if your ever over in jax or want to come on over and run pups let me know!! i dont do much during season but as soon as youth season ends im at it nearly every weekend and several days a week after work!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead3071 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:55 am

hunt-chessies wrote:if your ever over in jax or want to come on over and run pups let me know!! i dont do much during season but as soon as youth season ends im at it nearly every weekend and several days a week after work!!

I have had my dog going on 4 years now and he does great for a my first dog too train. but the only problem im having is when i shoot he hits the water on a dime. It get kinda annoying when i want him to stay so i can send him my self. You will have to give me some pointers on Friday's Hunt!
Season 2012/13
Teal- 3
Woody- 4
Ringies-
Blue bills- 2
Pintail
Mallards
Greenhead3071
hunter

Postby Greenhead3071 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 am

This picture was last year in the same spot we are going friday Hunt-Chessies. I cant wait.
Attachments
Tate.JPG
St Johns river
Season 2012/13
Teal- 3
Woody- 4
Ringies-
Blue bills- 2
Pintail
Mallards
Greenhead3071
hunter