Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:18 pm

creationchris wrote:pg 52 NV giuide hunt book states that it is LEGAL to hunt waterfowl with a longbow.

Thanks, we've established that. I am still trying to find out if hunting is legal within city limits.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter

Postby tracyhs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I looked into it with a friend here in the DEC and it turns out that it IS legal......Bizarre...but legal.
I have never known anyone to do it, nor have I heard of it done locally (probably because it sounds pretty far up the hick meter) but go for it.
I am doubtful of a clean kill.
It seemed so clearly stupid to me that I just figured it HAD to be illegal.
Have fun.

What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to be a complete ****? If I can shoot and kill turkey with my bow, why couldn't I kill geese?
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Have fun
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby snipe hunter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 pm

NO!!!! DO NOT shoot a bow within city limits...NPS code defines any firing of a missle is illegle a missle being defined as a arrow....you will get cited or arrested. and if your wondering what NPS is it is the Nevada Public Saftey Code to which superseeds Sparks, or Washoe Codes. You sure dont want to be caught a virgina lakes shooting geese with your bow! Also you may have bunch of protesters ready to hang you for killing there sweet fat goose!!....its a bunch of crap! I have been working on this for 2 seasons with NDOW and the game wardens and got this down to the tee!...You may fire a bow within city limits as long as you hunt on private property, also do it discreetly NDOW doest want to see this in the paper or on the news that we are murdering the poor, fat ass geese. Iam lucky enough to hunt on private property where the geese are THICK in city limits and i will tell you this use a big broadhead, try to hit the bird in sideways between the wings the arrow will prevent them from flying off and someone crying saying awww the poor geese. Just remember, Private good...Public BAD!!! :thumbsup:
Tanglefree Waterfowl
Nevada Field Rep/Pro staff
http://www.tanglefree.com
12 Gauge Outfitters LLC
Master Hunting Guide
http://www.12gaugeoutfitters.net
snipe hunter
hunter

Postby creationchris » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 am

I guess I have to throw my 2$ in at this point. Why in the hell would you want to shoot a yardgoose ( no offense john :smile: ) with a bow ? :huh: :huh: It sure as hell is'nt going to taste very good ( unless you like a chee-to and dorrito seasoned goose) and then you have to also possibly deal with the tree huggers as snipe suggested. Last thing we ( as hunters ) need right now is more negative attention being drawn to the sport. I could do the same thing on lake tahoe and it would be perfectly legal but It just aint worth dealing with the BS. Let common sense prevail here. Just because you can doesn't mean its a brilliant idea. I can see it already on the front page of the newspaper ( on thanksgiving non the less) a picture of a goose trotting down the fair-way with an arrow through it. I've seen pics like this before and they sure as hell don't help our cause. Thats it, Im done! Happy thanksgiving.
creationchris
hunter

Postby tracyhs » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 am

It was a question, and it would be on private property. And I have it okayed by Sparks P.D.
tracyhs
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Maybe legal, maybe on private golf course, maybe ok with PD . . . BAD idea! With all the phone cameras some tree hugger will get a photo or video. I wouldn't parade a deer or elk carcass through town on a car hood even though it was a legal kill because of the possibility of giving media ammunition for anti hunter movement. This could do the same thing. My suggestion is to do the work and hunt not just kill. Besides, isn't the hunting part more than half the fun and enjoyment of harvesting a goose? JMO. :thumbsup:
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 am

Definatly in with the last couple posts Don't be lazy go out and hunt geese freeze your ass off pack decoys get rewarded for your work. Find private land ask land owners whatever it takes to harvest one like most of us do. If you want a goose that bad I would be glad to give you some of mine. If a bows your thing then head out in hunting areas and hunt them if it's all legal guranteed you start firing arrows at a golf course that will last about a season and added to the new rules will be other things choking our rights. as Chris Carter would say CMMon Maan. Take this as sharp critisism not trying to be a ****. :beer:
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 pm

I say do it. You're the one that seems to not understand the sport. Like Chris said, just because you may find a legal loophole doesn't mean killing tame birds is a glorious idea. And you seem fully aware of the repercussions that you are undoubtedly going to put on yourself and your peers. If it doesn't bother you, then have at it. :biggrin:
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm

trayhs, if your set on shooting a goose with your bow, I'll let you know when I go out and you can come along. I usually do 3 or 4 hunts with my bow here at home when the geese move in each season. I'll PM when when or if they come in this year.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby h2ofoul » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Bow legal. Discharge of firearm in a congested area trouble. Use common sense and don't give the "non-hunters" anything to complain about.
h2ofoul
hunter

Postby Mike Callian » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Let me know when you're going, I''ll be your caddy.
Mike Callian
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:36 pm

I say we as waterfowlers need to get NDOW to have an early goose season in September for the local honkers around the city limits.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 am

snipe hunter wrote:NO!!!! DO NOT shoot a bow within city limits...NPS code defines any firing of a missle is illegle a missle being defined as a arrow....you will get cited or arrested. and if your wondering what NPS is it is the Nevada Public Saftey Code to which superseeds Sparks, or Washoe Codes. You sure dont want to be caught a virgina lakes shooting geese with your bow! Also you may have bunch of protesters ready to hang you for killing there sweet fat goose!!....its a bunch of crap! I have been working on this for 2 seasons with NDOW and the game wardens and got this down to the tee!...You may fire a bow within city limits as long as you hunt on private property, also do it discreetly NDOW doest want to see this in the paper or on the news that we are murdering the poor, fat ass geese. Iam lucky enough to hunt on private property where the geese are THICK in city limits and i will tell you this use a big broadhead, try to hit the bird in sideways between the wings the arrow will prevent them from flying off and someone crying saying awww the poor geese. Just remember, Private good...Public BAD!!! :thumbsup:

Just clearing the air. I don't know if this was a misunderstanding, but there is know such thing as the "Nevada Public Safety Code". Does not exsist. Maybe you were referring to the "Nevada Revised Statues-NRS".
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Previous

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting