Question about gang rig drops

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Question about gang rig drops

Postby Jangle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 am

I have been planning I making my own gang rig drops but I was looking through a cabelas catelog the other day and saw where they have tangle free gang rig drops that are three feet long with the clips and swivels for the decoy attachment. They are 24.99 for 48 of them. This seems like a really good deal because I don't think I can build them for that cheap. Has any one used these drops or does any one have a cheaper way to make them
Jangle
hunter

Re: Question about gang rig drops

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am

I paid that price for a dozen droplets already assembled from doctari and they were also 36" drops. Sounds like a steal if u ask me but you never know til they are in front of you.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Rhhold0812 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm

If you buy prerigged clips and drops i guarantee you will regret it. 1st of all 3 feet is WAY too long. If you plan on keeping your dekes in a bag you will have nothing but a tangled mess. I store my decoys in a big bag and dump them onto the floor of my tender boat when i layout hunt. My drops are only 1 foot long and that is more than necessary. 2nd, alot of premade rigs have clips that are too big. A friend of mine had GHG clips and they would slip on 1/4 inch line. i suggest buying 5 inch clips from Doctari Long Lines and buying some cheap braided decoy line and making drops yourself. It is more work but i promise you it is worth it. One of my biggest regrets as a waterfowl hunter is trying to go cheap and get away with the minumum. I dont believe in buying the most expensive stuff out there but with alot of gear you get what you pay for.
Rhhold0812
hunter

Postby taylormn14 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Those drops are for 12 only. I bought them and called Cabelas out on it and they asked if I wanted to send them back. I said I wanted them and they let me keep them and gave me my money back. That was a year or 2 ago and I cant believe they keep printing it wrong so maybe it is 48. The thing with 3 foot drops is that the dog can swim through them and i can even float my boat over them without catching the mainline. If I didnt have a dog I would run shorter drops like 6-12 inches
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Do what you love and do it often.
taylormn14
hunter

Postby Jangle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Ok well I was afraid that it was a miss print but oh well. So I think I am going to get some long like clips and make my own drops. If I am going to use parachute cord for my main like what size clips will I need?
Jangle
hunter

Postby Jake S » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't hunt with a dog so I don't use drops, just zip tie the clip right to the decoy. simple and cheep
Jake S
hunter

Postby Guzman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 am

If you hunt with a dog you want the 3 foot drops. Even then the dog gets caught some times, and a dog dragging along a mainline is a pain in the butt.
Guzman
hunter

Postby Shade » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm

taylormn14 wrote:Those drops are for 12 only. I bought them and called Cabelas out on it and they asked if I wanted to send them back. I said I wanted them and they let me keep them and gave me my money back. That was a year or 2 ago and I cant believe they keep printing it wrong so maybe it is 48. The thing with 3 foot drops is that the dog can swim through them and i can even float my boat over them without catching the mainline. If I didnt have a dog I would run shorter drops like 6-12 inches

It's still a misprint, I brought the mag to the store to "reinforce" my argument... They told me "it means 48 'Pieces'.... 24 swivels, 12 gang clips, 12 lines. No dice. Make your own, or buy from Doctari.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 pm

go snlcorp.net they are the cheapest for decoy rigging supplies. also halessinkersupply.com for weights
Last edited by rebelp74 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:47 pm

I am very satisfied with my mainlines and drops from doctari. I have the 18 inch drops but wish i had the 36 inchers. Will be switching at the end of the year. I don't hunt with a dog but if it gets windy and you have a pretty tight spread at least with 36 inch drops if the wind blows you through the lines you have a better chance of not making a colossal mess. As far as the clips go, in my opinion, the bigger the better. On a bluebird day when its warm the small ones are fine but when its freezing and you have to wear bulky decoy gloves the bigger clips are much easier to work with.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting