Questions about Harsens Island

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Questions about Harsens Island

Postby brubak35 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 am

I am from the Saginaw bay region and am thinking about trying out Harsens Island SWA this weekend. I have never hunted here and wanted to see if any of you guys have hunted there before? Would it be worth the drive for me to hunt here? If so, do you have any tips for me? Hot fields, decoy strategies, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Travis
brubak35
hunter

Re: Questions about Harsens Island

Postby Bandedbrothers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm

I hunted Lake St clair which isnt to far from harsens Island and all we shot were buffs, we went when the fog hit and it was hell trying to find our spot, we did good with 9 but didnt see huge flocks like we wanted to. heard some guys lighting up the sky but that doesn't mean they brought ducks down, it was difficult to see the ducks unless they were in your dekes. We ran two lines, had 60 diver dekes out and they worked them pretty good but not like we wanted them to. Hope this helps a bit.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Harsens island can be a great place to hunt if you get a drawing in the top 15. I would hunt the corn which always seems to go first. Check the sheets of paper on the walls in the dnr office which tell you how many birds were taken on each blind on the am and pm hunt for the last few days. Should give you a better picture of what blind to pick. The dnr officers in the office are very helpful as well. Get there early before the draw and ask them a few questions. There will be the crowd of regulars there some are helpful others not. I would make sure you can stay there for a couple days because if u get a bad draw you will most likely not have a good hunt unless you find a honey hole blind with no pressure ( we did once). Good luck.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Baher20018 wrote:Harsens island can be a great place to hunt if you get a drawing in the top 15. I would hunt the corn which always seems to go first. Check the sheets of paper on the walls in the dnr office which tell you how many birds were taken on each blind on the am and pm hunt for the last few days. Should give you a better picture of what blind to pick. The dnr officers in the office are very helpful as well. Get there early before the draw and ask them a few questions. There will be the crowd of regulars there some are helpful others not. I would make sure you can stay there for a couple days because if u get a bad draw you will most likely not have a good hunt unless you find a honey hole blind with no pressure ( we did once). Good luck.

Do they have a boat launch there or is it all walk in? Looked at the map and didn't see anything.
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:25 pm

MallardMan5 wrote:
Baher20018 wrote:Harsens island can be a great place to hunt if you get a drawing in the top 15. I would hunt the corn which always seems to go first. Check the sheets of paper on the walls in the dnr office which tell you how many birds were taken on each blind on the am and pm hunt for the last few days. Should give you a better picture of what blind to pick. The dnr officers in the office are very helpful as well. Get there early before the draw and ask them a few questions. There will be the crowd of regulars there some are helpful others not. I would make sure you can stay there for a couple days because if u get a bad draw you will most likely not have a good hunt unless you find a honey hole blind with no pressure ( we did once). Good luck.

Do they have a boat launch there or is it all walk in? Looked at the map and didn't see anything.

There are a few boat launches look on the DNR map. You wont be able to walk in to most if any at Harsens. You will want a smaller jon boat or canoe.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:14 pm

I've got a 15 ft jon with a surface drive. You think that will work?
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 pm

MallardMan5 wrote:I've got a 15 ft jon with a surface drive. You think that will work?

Yes that would be a good boat for the area. I will be there Friday morning can't wait.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I think we are planning on Saturday fro the afternoon hunt. Good Luck
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 am

MallardMan5 wrote:I think we are planning on Saturday fro the afternoon hunt. Good Luck

How did it go?
Baher20018
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Didn't end up going. Stay down here by the Ohio border and slayed them. It was a great morning to hunt. How'd you do??
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 am

MallardMan5 wrote:Didn't end up going. Stay down here by the Ohio border and slayed them. It was a great morning to hunt. How'd you do??

Went to harsens Friday got last in draw had bad hunt. Went to pointe mouille in Monroe and got drawn last had a bad hunt.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:37 pm

That's terrible luck.
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:46 am

MallardMan5 wrote:That's terrible luck.

Tell me about it luckily I have a few spots that I hunt that are pretty good outside of the managed units.
Baher20018
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting