Missing the Season

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Missing the Season

Postby LBeinhaur » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 am

Due to a full knee replacement on 11/6 I haven't been able to get out and will probably miss the rest of the season. Can't even drive as it is my right knee.
SO I have to live vicariously through your posts! How has every one been doing? Have there been many ducks on the Lake yet? I normally hunt the Dead Creek area, has anyone been down there at all?
Let's see some pictures so I can keep the spirit alive for next year!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Missing the Season

Postby hawkman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your knee. My hunting buddy had a major shoulder injury two days before the season opened last year. He did not hunt at all last year.

However, we made up for it this year. Check out this pile of birds. Believe it or not, they were all legal and we did not waste a bird. I will admit it was not in Vermont.

P9192325.jpg
Clean'in time
hawkman
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Things have started to slow down this past week, but still managed a few good hunts.

Wednesdays Hunt 8 mallards and woody

Thursdays Hunt 8 mallards and black

Nov 4th Pretty Special Bag for me. I have always wanted to shoot a mallard limit, a black and a pintail. My partner and I each got one. It took 7 seasons of duck hunting to do it:) Well worth the wait.
chambo32
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Nicely done gentlemen....
RangerX
hunter

Postby hawkman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Enough dead birds. Here are some action shots for you. Can you imagine this many birds workin and all coming in at the same time?

P9202329.jpg

P9202332.jpg

P9202336.JPG
hawkman
hunter

Postby hawkman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Now here is something a little strange. Hunting sandhill cranes. Just like hunting giant geese. They decoy well. They taste fantastic. They are meaner than heck. You definitely take your gun when retreiving cripples....for self protection.

The ugly guy on the left is my buddy. The good looker on the right is me. We have been hunting together for 47 years and he still expects me to shoot all his ducks.

P9212352.jpg

P9212355.jpg
hawkman
hunter

Postby hawkman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Here is one last shot every duck hunter can love.

sunset.jpg
hawkman
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Guys!

Worst thing about this operation is that it is my right knee so I can't even drive! I would go and just watch the birds at dead Creek if I could! I live just a few miles from there.
I love seeing your sucess!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Whistler Watch!!!!!

chambo32
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:16 am

Chambo.

That is a GREAT Picture!!! You should semd that to DU for their retreiver Pictures!

Thanks everyone for your posts, I really enjoy seeing them. Knee is coming along but the rehab is tough, but I'm trying to tough through it so I can get back to somewhat normal.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 am

Got alittle snow and the birds are coming in now!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby hawkman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 am

Nice photos.

Very poignant photo watching for whistlers.

Noticed in the goose photos, the cornfields have been harvested but the stalks are still there and no fall plowing. In the NEK , I'm seeing stalks harvested for sillage and more and more fall plowing. In many cases, we are looking at bare dirt. Wonder if that might explain the lack of birds over here.

Tomorrow is the last day of the interior goose season. I'm not ready for it to end.
hawkman
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:23 am

Sorry for the delay here... here are some pics from our season... been a great year.

Yeehaw....
RangerX
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 am

Hey RangerX,
Thanks for th pics! Looks like you have had a really great season. Your boat looks like mine!! Even have a Karavan trailer!
Mine is a 17ft Grizzly tracker with an Avery Quikset blind same cover material! I bought it to hunt the Lake but haven't been able to do so very often. This knee started really going bad about 2 years ago and I finally had to get done. Getting better though so I will get after them next season. Maybe we can get together some time.

Thanks again for posting the pics!

Loyd
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 am

LBeinhaur wrote:Hey RangerX,
Thanks for th pics! Looks like you have had a really great season. Your boat looks like mine!! Even have a Karavan trailer!
Mine is a 17ft Grizzly tracker with an Avery Quikset blind same cover material! I bought it to hunt the Lake but haven't been able to do so very often. This knee started really going bad about 2 years ago and I finally had to get done. Getting better though so I will get after them next season. Maybe we can get together some time.

Thanks again for posting the pics!

Loyd

The knee will get better, just stick to your PT and keep your chin up... Definitely would be down to hunt with you next season. My boat is a 20' Seaark and I had a custom aluminum blind welded together and bolted on... I upgraded from my 14' last year with hopes of getting into some good diver hunting, but I tell ya, the mallard hunting has been so good that we have not even bothered to pull the grass and cedar the boat up. It's been a great year for us, we've learned alot.... this is also the first year we've had almost every flock of birds completely finish... I'm talking anywhere from 6 birds to 40 birds at a time.... totally unreal.

Hang in there man...

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting