Hunting in Fog

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hunting in Fog

Postby taylormn14 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Just wondering how you guys have done in a dense fog. Today we hunted in fog that you couldnt see 100 yards. I marked my spot with the gps, thank God, and after we set up the buffle head were all over us. We ended up with limits in just a few hours. The tender boat was only 50 yards behind the layouts because thats all the further we could see the shooters. Probably didnt even need the layout boats. I guess being on the x or the flight path is pretty important on days like this.
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Do what you love and do it often.
taylormn14
hunter

Re: Hunting in Fog

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 am

I love foggy days. Hammer time.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Not a big fan of fog... especialy running a boat across a lake covered in crab traps then up a river, not fun. last tuesday i left my house at 3:00 and what should have been a 45 min boat ride turned into a two hour ride. like i said, i left at 3:00 and didnt finish putting out decoys until 6:45. It should have been a 45min boat ride and a 30 min walk. it turned into 3 1/2 hour opperation. It was so bad i couldnt see the bow of my boat.....
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Love the foggy days...birds are looking for birds to raft up with and fly low.If you in a flight path. Though foggy days can be killer
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Can be killer IF you are where the birds wanna be! BOOM! love em!
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Cab be a hit or a miss but most of the time its a bad thing b/c birds can't see the dekes and u can't see the birds until their 5 yards off ur decoys.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:40 pm

fog = full strap
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am

Fog hunts would be one of my favorite, birds decoy to almost anything. plus nothing like hearing the wings before you can see the bird.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 am

Fog will kill you if you hunt big water. At least wait until sunrise so you can see what you are about to run into. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby KJS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Please be safe. My husband, an avid outdoorsman, conservationist, and duck hunter, was killed October 20, 2012, on a very foggy and dark morning at 6:00 am. He and six other hunters were headed toward their blind on the Mississippi River Illinois side having launched on the Iowa side. The boat driver struck a channel marker. The boat driver had been hunting on the Mississippi for many years. He knew the river and its dangers. He knew this particular area of the river very well. They had been preparing their blind for weeks.Two men were killed, the rest had serious injuries. There were numerous misjudgements and assumptions made that morning on the part of the driver. Now, at age 50, after 23 years of marriage, I find myself a widow with three teenagers. You do not want the county coroner making an unannounced visit to your family home, as he did mine, changing my life forever.
KJS
Newb

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

KJS wrote:Please be safe. My husband, an avid outdoorsman, conservationist, and duck hunter, was killed October 20, 2012, on a very foggy and dark morning at 6:00 am. He and six other hunters were headed toward their blind on the Mississippi River Illinois side having launched on the Iowa side. The boat driver struck a channel marker. The boat driver had been hunting on the Mississippi for many years. He knew the river and its dangers. He knew this particular area of the river very well. They had been preparing their blind for weeks.Two men were killed, the rest had serious injuries. There were numerous misjudgements and assumptions made that morning on the part of the driver. Now, at age 50, after 23 years of marriage, I find myself a widow with three teenagers. You do not want the county coroner making an unannounced visit to your family home, as he did mine, changing my life forever.

Sorry for your loss....i hate running in fog for that reason and hardly ever do. You cant see other boats, trees, logs, channel markers, etc.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 am

X1,000 on the condolences to KJS!!! My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Foggy conditions dictate longer travel times in order to go slow and avoid objects and potential disasters but once set up if you are on the X the hunting can be spectacular. I love hearing the sound of wings overhead and following some very soft calling (or some low barks into a diver call) the next thing you know a group of birds suddenly appear over the decoys as they backpedal to land in the hole. Some of my best hunts occured in fog and the best of those were when the ceiling was about 20' with a dense blanket overhead...we call those mornings hammertime. If the birds are there you can be back at the cabin cooking breakfast before 8:30.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting