* * Early Puppy Training Techniques * *

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: * * Early Puppy Training Techniques * *

Postby Moki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:22 am

It is important to start training your puppy from the first day you got him. Puppy is very similar to a baby as he is going through set periods of psychological and physical development. More advanced training of puppies should only start at around six months of age. Prior to this it is important to lay down the foundation between the owner and the puppy. The stronger the bond made during this time, the easier it will be to train the dog when he grows up. Before advanced training can begin a puppy should be able to come recognize his name, walk on lead, able to come by command and know “off” command. Try to teach a puppy like it’s a game, so he doesn’t get bored and is interested in training.

For the first week or two that you have your puppy home, you will both be busy getting to know each other, and you'll be learning how to take care of your new pet's physical needs. But very soon it will be time to begin some training. Once a puppy is settled into the household comfortably and has begun to trust you, you should start what many people call "kindergarten" training and I prefer to call early basic puppy training.

Whatever you call it, these early weeks of training are extremely important if you want your puppy to grow up to be a well-mannered dog. Just as it is never too early to socialize a puppy to handling and touching, it is never too early to begin to teach it some elementary social skills such as going to the bathroom in the right place, wearing a collar and walking on a leash, and learning its name.

Many people still hold the theory that young puppies aren't ready to learn anything until they reach a certain age and that they should be allowed to simply grow up with no rules or parameters. In my experience, this is not true. Because they are pack animals by nature, all canines, no matter how young, are happier and more secure when they know what is expected of them. Young wolf cubs are not allowed simply to run wild until they reach a certain age. Their mothers and the other adult pack members keep careful watch on the cubs and clearly show them exactly what they are allowed to do, where they should eliminate, and so forth. In other words, wolf cubs are given rules to live by from the moment they leave the den, for their own safety and for the good of the entire pack. Puppies need this kind of direction, too.

This is not to say that a very young puppy is ready for rigid, sophisticated training. But it is receptive to you, eager to please, and will be hapier and less confused if it gets clear signals from you, its combination mother and pack leader.

One good example of early puppy training that was very successful is that of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Finkelstein (he's CEO of Macy's), and their golden retriever, Candy. Candy was three months old when the Finkelsteins got her from a very good breeder, and they immediately hired me to help them to start her off on the right foot. I worked together with them and Candy all the way from beginning housebreaking through advanced off-leash training. I'm pleased to say that she turned out wonderfully. Her owners are delighted with her good behavior and take her everywhere, from the townhouse in New York to their estate in Connecticut. What's more, all their friends are impressed with how well behaved and responsive Candy is to them. Her good behavior is a testimony to what time, energy, and the proper training methods can accomplish.

When their friends the Kissingers got a Labrador retriever puppy, Amelia, the Findelsteins referred them to me for the puppy's early training. The Kissingers, however, decided not to begin to teach Amelia right away.

Then, last summer, when Amelia was four months old, a picture appeared in the New York Daily News of Dr. Kissinger holding Amelia on a leash with the large headline "Heel, Amelia! Please," and a caption that read, "As Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger had little trouble making nations listen, but he isn't getting any attention from his 4-month-old Labrador, Amelia. The puppy has a mind of her own about taking orders." The next day I received a call from the Kissingers' secretary. The media attention had convinced them that Amelia needed some early basic puppy training. I gave her some lessons and she responded very well.

The advantage of early training is now recognized by many people. Under various names, there are now group classes for puppies to help them learn basic skills. These are excellent for puppies and owners to participate in, because they help socialize the animal to other dogs and people at the same time provide an owner with professional help and guidelines that make training a puppy easier and more successful. However, you can't take your puppy to a group class until it has been fully protected against infectious diseases, and this usually isn't until it is at least four months old. So, there is a great deal that you will want to begin teaching your dog yourself.
Moki
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 am

Is it healthy to free feed the pup leaving dish full of food out or simply feed twice a day my dog is older and we free feed but always questioned if that was good ?
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am

This thread is a winner! Thanks cooter!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby superbeth98 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 am

Cooter,

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Even though you did it back in 2006, it is still helpful. I printed all the text out and keep it for reference at home with our lab pup Ranger.

Thanks, again.

Beth
ImageImage
superbeth98
hunter

Postby SilverBelle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am

So I just want to start out by saying that I am no Pro at this that is for sure, but I use Bill Hillmanns Puppy Training dvd and feel like its super simple to follow. Plus it is broke down into a day by day process that helps to see how dogs actually progress. For me this has worked really well. Here are two links of my puppy working:

This link is of Belle at 14 weeks old on day 10 of her training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H_-MgbEIntw

This link is of me breaking her into the gunshot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0gB-QWX9k&feature=player_detailpage

Pretty fun to watch your dog progress with your help. They all have it we just need to bring it out of them!!
SilverBelle
hunter

Postby yak4fish » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 am

This is a great thread with lots of good advise.

Any tips on how I can stop my 10 week old puppy from the annoying play biting? I don't want to be to firm and break her spirit but she gets to playing to rough and it needs to stop.
yak4fish
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am

It’s a puppy thing, but be consistent with your discipline. Grab the muzzle and command no bite, then give her something that she is allowed to chew on. At a puppy age they think everything is a chew toy. Learn to control their emotions, don't let play time get out of hand. Control it now and it makes life easier down the road.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby maxtracks1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

great info and thread, ty
maxtracks1
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Love the advice! My pup is 11 weeks old and unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't been able to do any serious training, just basics. I have one question though...

I want her to sit before I feed her but she won't stop jumping. I'm talking jumping 2 feet of the ground with all fours. Any tips on how to get her to stop it? Should I just pin her down until she stops moving?
rinkor16
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm

rinkor16 wrote:Love the advice! My pup is 11 weeks old and unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't been able to do any serious training, just basics. I have one question though...

I want her to sit before I feed her but she won't stop jumping. I'm talking jumping 2 feet of the ground with all fours. Any tips on how to get her to stop it? Should I just pin her down until she stops moving?

I'd post your new pup questions in the forum instead of the Stickys.

My answer would be don't mess it right now. Settle in with teaching sit but don't start using the biggest pup distraction on earth - food. It'll come.

If you have to, fill the bowl and then bring her in on a lead, or in your arms, and release her to the food bowl.

The dog is too young to train. Old enough to begin good habits. Study up if you don't know the difference.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby maxtracks1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 am

your time and knowledge is appreciated. this is great info and would make a good pamphlet or chart. Sharing with friends, thanks again
maxtracks1
hunter

Postby cooter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:27 pm

rinkor16 wrote:Love the advice! My pup is 11 weeks old and unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't been able to do any serious training, just basics. I have one question though...

I believe I would go about it n this manner.

When the pup stars jumping up and down, place food on a counter top, calm pup with your hands, no grabbing or quick aggressive movements. calm him by saying SIT, SIT, and slowly releasing him. When you let him go and he starts jumping again, repeat the process. This may take a little time, but keep repeating the process. Every time he starts jumping put bowl on countertop. I believe after a little time of this, when you put the bowl on the countertop, he will go right to SIT.

Once you get to this point, just keep working it. When ever he breaks SIT, sit the bowl down. Once you get to the point of being able to start down with the bowl, anytime he breaks SIT, he doesn't get to eat. I think in a short time the pup will understand and you should be able to achieve this goal. This MUST happen EVERY time you feed the pup. EVERYTIME.... Being Consistent is the key. The pup will catch on if this is happening at every feeding.

If you are not able to put in the time, maybe 5 minutes per feeding, and less as he starts catching on. But if not, Hntfish is correct also. You can break the BAD HABIT at a later date, and add the GOOD HABIT.

keith
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum