help with ruddys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

help with ruddys

Postby captmike69 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm

hey guys. i have a spot that has tons of ruddy ducks. they are not to common around here. im taking out my buddy tommorow to try for them. gonna set up off a point near them. i have no ruddy recoys. not sure if they even make them. im gonna put out far a few goldeneyes and ringnecks. and a couple mallards and geese in close. my questions are, do they decoy well? will they decoy into anything like buffleheads do? am i wasting my time? my buddy has only been duck hunting twice and we have only shot 2 geese so far so im trying to get him a good trip. the birds seem to have pretty much vanished around here lately. thanks
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

help with ruddys

Postby Willie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Yeah they decoy pretty good. Have any hen teal decoys? Take them too.
Willie
hunter

Re: help with ruddys

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:29 pm

They decoy about the same as a bufflehead. I used catch a bunch em in gill nets when I used to commercial fish. they can dive suprisingly deep
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby slopestacker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 am

where i hunt ruddies r that duck that flies when its a bluebird sky and there is not a single big duck flying. they tend to land on the outside of the spread when they decide to come in. i dont try to decoy em because i dont shoot em, but throwing out a 2 - 4 hen teal, or hen ring neck decoys off to the side of the spread or just out side the pocket might work. they seem to rather buzz the outside line of the spread.
if the site of 50+ cans 20 yards from the decoys doesnt get you goin, somethings not right.
slopestacker
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 am

They usually hide in reeds all day so your best bet is to set some deeks out about 10 yards from their hiding ground. I never shoot them because they refuse to fly.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 pm

if they fly they are fast, they like to come across our decoys often they are safe around me though
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Ive caught em swimming with coots often.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting