Steel BB Detection? Method?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby Yonkers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 am

Hi All,

Unsure if this is the proper forum to post this, if it is not mods please move as needed.

I am fairly new to waterfowl hunting the last couple years and have decidd I really prefer to turn all my ducks and geese into jerky. I prefer to grind it and use a gun/dehydrator.

I have messed up (ruined) a couple cheaper grinders because a steel BB got passed my inspection and lodged in the grinder and stripped / cracked the gears. I have since bought a much nicer grinder (Cabelas commercial).

Is there a good method / device I could pass over the meat (all layed out in a single layer before grinding) that would beap if there are any BBs present? I read an article somewhere online stating a person used a stud finder to do this. I tried my stud finder (cheap craftsman model) and it did not beap when passed over a steel BB.

I have no issue buying something to do this just would like a little input before I start buying things to try. Was looking both at various stud finders and handheld metal detectors.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Yonkers
hunter

Re: Steel BB Detection? Method?

Postby coruptone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 am

I set all of my duck or goose meat in the sink in salty water for a few hr to soak. Then i cut all the dark spots (blood shot) areas out cause this meat will be sour. I do all of my jerky in 10 lb batches and just cut it into strips and if you put it into the freezer for a few hr to help set the meat up but not frozen solid you can slice it up on a meat slicer and slice it up paper thin if you like. Most of my birds end up being finger stakes :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby SOILhunter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 pm

What about something similar to this? You may be able to find a cheaper version...or ask the CO if you can borrow his! Check this out on AMZN: Zircon MetalliScanner m40, Handheld Electronic Metal Detec... http://amzn.com/B000VKJ1MM
SOILhunter
hunter

Re: Steel BB Detection? Method?

Postby agengo02 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm

If you are grinding them why don't you just cut them up into small chunks, paying special attention to any shot holes or bloody spots? I hammer mine pretty thin so finding bb's is easy that way.
agengo02
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking