Great Season

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Great Season

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 am

I want to say thanks to all for every post during this season. It is my first year being a part of DHC and it was great to share stories on here and hear other people's triumphs and tribulations. I think we all had good hunts and definately had tough times during the season as well.

I look forward to next season and getting to know many more of you over the off-season. Good luck to all of you in the south zone. Knock 'em dead and know that all of us up north are jealous that you are still able to get out! Keep the stories coming and keep posting pictures of this past season's hunt if you haven't put them up here. Once I get my pics off my crappy phone, I want to try to post some.

Hopefully this next season I am able to get out on a few hunts with some of you from this site. Thanks again!
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Re: Great Season

Postby Mort » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Way to show some class from one duck hunter to others..

I dont expect guys to give up spots online, but it is fun to see and read how everyone through the state is doing.

Good luck this off season. See ya next year
Mort
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

:beer: There are a few good guys left in this world! I enjoy seeing the updates as well. I got a week left to get after em, not sure what's left but I'll be out there.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:51 am

Hey all-

What a great year! Thanks to all who kept hopes high with good pics and stories throughout the season.

This was also my first year on DHC and it was very cool to learn from others and meet new people.

DHC actually connected me with an old local acquantaince, NorthCoast and I had sent a few PMs and it only took us 3-4 messages to figure out that we went to the same High School and knew eachother from a decade ago... Funny stuff, I thought I recognized him in his pics but that gnarly beard was throwing me off!

I have a sliver of hope trying to get on a field or out on the River this weekend, but my season may be over. :fingerhead:

Good luck to all who are breaking ice and/or navigating the rivers for the south zone send off...

I'm digging out the ice house and auger this week....ice fishing is great therapy for waterfowl withdrawals :hi:

-Ryan
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 pm

I might get out with someone from here this weekend, we'll know tomorrow. Have to say it would be fun to get out with you "regulars" next year just to check out different places/styles. Got out with someone from mwf that I've been chatting with for a year or so because he lives in the town my mom grew up in for my first long line diver hunt. It was fun and a new experience, even if we didn't shoot once, lol. It definitely has me thinking about trying to target diver hunting next year.

I'll definitely try to post up any open seats I may have next year. Amy of you are welcome.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 am

I agree about posting open seats. It is something I dont think enough about. I think that most of us on here are all in the same situation and all are passionate about hunting by the rules. I will definately do the same thing.

I forget also, that most of you may not be long line hunters. If any of you have never hunted over long lines or a gang rig, it is something you must do. After the first weekend or two, that is the only way I hunt.

Next season, let me know if you are by Detroit Lakes and I can take you on a long line hunt. I am already thinking about next season...it may be a long offseason.

I have a 3' x 4' block of brown cork I bought...time to make some new blocks! I am thinking bluebills, cause I made redheads out of the last block of cork I had. Anyone else have any good input? Thinking about starting them this next week...
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm

I can't complain about the year either. Things started off with a bang when I got a chance to hunt in Argentina, and my Minnesota hunting was reasonably consistent. I also got the chance to get out with a few new folks from here and almost connected with a couple others. Maybe next year.

This site is a great way to make some new connections. I've gone on hunts in WA, Argentina, and numerous trips in MN with guys that frequent this site. I have been hoping to squeeze in a trip somewhere down south but figured I'd stay happy with my Argentina hunt for now...getting things ready for a wedding in the spring and house hunting has hopped to the forefront of things near term.

Still planning to spend some quality time on the ice and maybe chase some yotes or fox around this winter...til next season rolls around.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby iFAIL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 am

Altho I didn't get to go out as much as i would of liked, I will also say this year wasn't that bad. The water drought suck but since i bagged a few i really can't complain. Good season and looking towards next year. Not chasing any late season goose since i have alot of things plan so good luck to those who are and untill next year.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm

I agree this website is a great way of networking for people who enjoy waterfowl hunting. Suicidal_Scuap has a great set up as I have hunted with him for 2 years before he headed north to the Detroit Lakes area. I try to make it up that way to hunt with him and this past season he was able to make back down here to hunt with me out of my rig. I am horrible at remembering to let people know on here if I have an open seat. I hunt long lines as well and am always willing to introduce some one to the joy of diver hunting. Hope everyone has a great off season getting the gear ready for next season. I know my first project is to paint up about 10 hot buy mallards to bluebills and possibly a hen woodduck into a hen bufflehead.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Lol, I got hot buys to paint as divers too

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting