I Eat Buffies...

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

I Eat Buffies...

Postby bighillbilly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 am

Seems every year there is some debate about the flavor of divers and how best to prepare them or at least destroy the evidence. A firm believer in eating what we kill I refuse to stop trying to eat these birds. So, new recipes abound.

This past fall I stumbled upon a very nice way to prepare squirrels and am happy to report it was also a success on my beloved buffies. Creating a great appetizer for my son and I. We breasted the little bombers and then soaked them in a ziploc bag full of ranch dressing for 2 days. The meat soaks up the fat and oil from the dressing along with some of the flavor. I removed them from the bag and rolled them in Panko seasoned breading. This is a crunchy breading. Drop them into a skillet with some hot olive oil in the bottom and cook on each side for about 2 minutes. They look like chicken nuggests when they are done.

Remove onto a paper towel and then slice into pieces and enjoy. Oh man. They are tender and tasty little treats. If you don't like the flavor of the game you take, try to be inventive and you will eventually find a recipe that pleases your taste buds.

Bring on the buffies!!!
bighillbilly
hunter

Re: I Eat Buffies...

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm

I was trying to think of what witty retort I was going to have about the hick cookbook or whatever, but then, I see the "bighillbilly" pseudonym......

And there you have it.....

Ranch dressing, Mountain Dew, Skippy peanut butter, are all degrees of hillbilly...
Eeeeesh......
enjoy.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 am

they are edible when they are living in fresh water.....Salt not so much. They taste like fishy mud with a hint of gameyness.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 am

Ever try Coot?? Haha I beleive they eat snakes!
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Do Buffies taste like Muffies? :yes:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby tuppyus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:34 pm

bighillbilly - I gave it a run with the recipe.. Tried it in sesame oil as a change. The panko wouldn't stay on. I struggled as it was still a bit livery.. Ever try it in chiavettas?
tuppyus
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting