9%
64%
27%
4.5+
No votes

Total votes : 11

How old do you think?

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I got this buck on my trail cam. I've always been a shoot the first deer no matter what. With a few deer under my belt and a lot of work over the last few years, I'm getting a little less concerned about just getting any deer. I saw a fair number of decent buck on the trail cam this year and am trying to get better at knowing what I am looking at. I think he is 2.5. I am curious what everyone else thinks.

BuckAge.jpg
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re: How old do you think?

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Could be a 3.5, but you are probably right.

Nothing about him suggests he's older. Still too "leggy".
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

I think your right on....your in Illinois so i'd let him walk for sure. Plenty of other walk hangers lurking around your parts
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'd let him walk or not IF I didn't have a deer in the freezer yet and I don't right now. However, being more sure of the age will certainly help if the opportunity presents itself. Having never passed on a deer, I'm honestly not sure what I would do. There are a couple 1.5 year olds that I saw that fall into the same category of maybe I'd pass. Those are easy to age.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am

He is leggy and slim in the back but is starting to build some depth in his chest. Thats why I say 3 1/2...
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm

His back is too bowed, id say hes 2 1/2 - 3 yrs. Hes no older than 3 1/2, once a deer passes 3 1/2 they beging to get a swayed back(a dip between the hips and shoulders) and then they start to get short stubby legs.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks.

Just a funny photo I pulled the other day.

fuzzy.jpg
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Archery