How to shoot with a full choke?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

How to shoot with a full choke?

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey guys, I just got a new Kicks high flyer Full choke tube and i'm having trouble hitting ducks !! :no: I am just wondering if there are any tips for leading/shot placement while using this full choke. Thanks as always guys :smile:
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Re: How to shoot with a full choke?

Postby Deltaone9er » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Have you patterned your choke yet? Maybe it's patterning poorly or shifting your pattern high, low, etc... Start there and see what you end up with. Don't forget to pattern it with the shells you'll actually shoot at the ranges you'll actually be engaging birds at.
Deltaone9er
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm

good tip, ill try that out. Say it has a good pattern. What sort of placement/lead should take place shooting a duck ? thanks!
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby bulletman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:24 pm

1) Pattern your choke/load on paper.

2) Analyze the pattern as compared to a duck at the distances you have/will be shooting ducks at.

3) Get a more open choke and repeat the above, if you survey (or search these forums and look at what others are shooting) you will find VERY FEW pwople shooting a full choke for duck hunting over decoys.

4) The lead you use for a moving target is a variable, the further distance the more you will have to lead the target. Angles come into play as well as distance. You best learning tool to figure this out is shooting clay pigeons thrown at different distances and angles and speeds.
bulletman
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 pm

GreenHeadDead wrote:good tip, ill try that out. Say it has a good pattern. What sort of placement/lead should take place shooting a duck ? thanks!

To me, this came slowly. It's just something that you get used to. If the duck is landing close, put the bead on it's body. Flying by, depending on how far just lead maybe 3 or 4 inches in front of it. Same if it were flying overhead. If your gun patterns correctly and the way you like it, go out and shoot some clays. I shoot a full and sometimes a super full choke for ducks. If you are newer to hunting, you need to make sure the ducks are in range for you to shoot them.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Shoot em in the lips... But seriously I've found that if u focus small like aim for the head don't just point it at the bird it makes a big difference... The old saying "aim small, miss small"... And as the others have said practice leads with clays and pattern your shells through it.. also just hunting will teach u the most... And swing through the birds, don't stop when ya pull the trigger (if ya know this already then disregard)... As far as ur choke id say u picked a good one! I shoot a kicks full and x full in my 870 and love it. It hammers the birds for sure!!!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm going to take everything you guys said into consideration !! I like in New Brunswick Canada so i have to shoot steel ( were not allowed to use lead ). I well try and aim at the "lips" like you said and see how it goes. I Have the choke for my 870 as well so i hope it stays true to me as it did with you :wink:
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby fullmoon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 am

putting a full doesnt makes our short range shotgun a long range stinger/heat seeking missile :no:
i said so bcz my buddy recently put full to his xplore,ducks were not working well with decoys that day and he unexpectedly shot two times on a flock that was 80+ yards and missed with 36g #5 loads @ 1300fps,my first response,hey What the f***** are u doing??? u know he said i am shooting through a full. :biggrin:
later we patterned the gun and it was doing good @ max 60 yards.

1) 1st pattern gun.
2) take shot in max range that your choke and load supports.
fullmoon
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 am

fullmoon wrote:putting a full doesnt makes our short range shotgun a long range stinger/heat seeking missile :no:
i said so bcz my buddy recently put full to his xplore,ducks were not working well with decoys that day and he unexpectedly shot two times on a flock that was 80+ yards and missed with 36g #5 loads @ 1300fps,my first response,hey What the f***** are u doing??? u know he said i am shooting through a full. :biggrin:
later we patterned the gun and it was doing good @ max 60 yards.

1) 1st pattern gun.
2) take shot in max range that your choke and load supports.

Haha that's a funny story. I'm an ethical hunter though, I won't shoot at anything that is too close that it well wreck the meat or too far out to only wound it! Thanks for the tips guys ! :smile:
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 am

That's why when they're clost, ya gotta choot em in tha beak.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:That's why when they're clost, ya gotta choot em in tha beak.

Take te head off so ya miss the meat! :thumbsup:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:48 pm

To be honest... if you are decoying birds i wuld go with a mod or imp cyl... When decoying birds with a full choke your pattern is so tight you have more room for error and if you do hit one itf might be hamburger!! :sad:
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Yea i agree. But me and my buddy hunt and only get little flocks of 3-4 typically so he has a Mod choke to get the ones and im going to take the ones that flair from alittle further out, and once good, shopt the heads off the ones alittle closer :wink:
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby noweil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

How close are the ducks you are missing? I have seen more people miss birds when they are taking longer shots than they think. Why do you feel you need a full? I shoot Imp. Cyl. and mod. most of the time. Most the time we are shooting 15-30 yards with imp. cyl. you can kill doubles and even triples when they are in right. If you are emptying out and not killing birds they probably aren't right.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Yeah a lot of guys over choke when the situation isnt necessary i think. Unless you passhooting birds, i do not see a reason to use a full while decoying. Just my opinion man. I thnk a mod would do you better tbh.
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

mounting the gun to by shoulder while simultaneously taking off the safety then acquiring my target and squeezing the trigger has always worked best for me...... :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 am

We try to decoy birds but they end up usually just circling then leaving so we well shoot on the second pass typically. I'm always trying to aim at the head so that may be why and plus I think I might underestimate how fast the gun shoots and over lead. Do you guys shoot for the head or body ? I know close you want to aim for the head but alittle further out what's your oppinion ? :smile:
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Non decoying birds that are circling? 40 yards all day in my opinion. 3-5 feet in front of the bird. There is no right answer. Everyone has a different perspective. I would concentrate on why the birds are not finishing.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm

True, im going to put a couple hundred into some new decoys mine are alittle chippy. Thanks !
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah i would fix your spread, location, concealement... something. If birds aernt finishing immediately change you spread... try new things, locaton etc. I still htink a mod choke would treat you better though.
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

i find that when im missing it is either because im pointing at them or not following thru. i always fix this buy getting behind the bird and as u pass it up squeze off, and follow thru. this will solve alot of lead problems if u follow thru. passing birds, flairing birds, or ducks coming off the water, all the same process.

seems to work better than trying to figure out how far out in front i should be. also u said u think you might be shooting in front of them. if the duck fluters or rocks his head up when you shoot then ya ur in front, it is hard to see whenyour the one shooting but its like they kinda skip or pull back a little.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Fatback » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Find one choke/load and stick with it....I shoot IC/ black cloud combo, more i shoot with that the more confidant i am with it. What part of NB are you from GreenHeaddead?
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Fatback wrote:Find one choke/load and stick with it....I shoot IC/ black cloud combo, more i shoot with that the more confidant i am with it. What part of NB are you from GreenHeaddead?

I'm actually from Saint John NB. You live anywhere nearby ??
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 pm

frydaddy wrote:i find that when im missing it is either because im pointing at them or not following thru. i always fix this buy getting behind the bird and as u pass it up squeze off, and follow thru. this will solve alot of lead problems if u follow thru. passing birds, flairing birds, or ducks coming off the water, all the same process.

seems to work better than trying to figure out how far out in front i should be. also u said u think you might be shooting in front of them. if the duck fluters or rocks his head up when you shoot then ya ur in front, it is hard to see when your the one shooting but its like they kinda skip or pull back a little.

I use a gopro when i hunt and i just reviewed some of the footage and noticed exactly what you said, a duck was flying straight in front of my and when i shot it almost cupped like it was going to land and it went up in a straight line and tucked its head back. I guess i'm aiming alittle ahead. I'm just worried that if i don't lead the head i will hit it in the body and not get a ethical non cripple kill. I know distance and exact placement plays part in that for a non cripple too.
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby Fatback » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Saint John as well !
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting