Socks??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Socks??

Postby Edge » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Macks smart whool, and nothing else, nothing else.
Edge
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:12 am

I bought my first pair of smartwool socks when I lived in WA, that was before my daughter was born. She is 11 now. They are running socks that I still wear at least once a week. Thats like 500+ washes, still going. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Tigersnake1954 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm

The heavy smartwool socks over then calf are the ticket to warm feet with good boots. Also, if you hands or feet get cold it is because you are cold and you need to put more or better hats/ear flaps, etc over your head because your body shuts down blood flow to the arms and legs to keep the brain warm. That is the real reason your feet and hands get cold in the first place. You start getting hot take off your hat. Down is a great jacket material that really keeps you comfortable in all weather. Whatever you do, stay dry
Tigersnake1954
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:27 pm

I really like the lifetime socks from bass pro. They are redhead brand, probably the only good item there is in their brand.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

I wear light boots and cotton socks until I'm ready to launch or start through the woods. I ditch the cotton and dry my feet off, put on some good merino wool socks and waders (or insulated hunting boots if I'm hunting on dry ground or a deep water blind)
talltimber
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 pm

m.teeter wrote:I really like the lifetime socks from bass pro. They are redhead brand, probably the only good item there is in their brand.

And if u snag them they replace no question. Love them... any wool sock with 88%+ wool is a good sock.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Darn Tough merino wool socks. Hands down best merino wool socks out there. They swear by their product, made right here in the USA in Vermont, and come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. . .and they stick to it! Check them out and the reviews, it doesnt lie well worth the few extra bucks for them.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:13 pm

I have problems with my feet. (Severe neuropathy) My issue isn't having cold feet but not knowing I have cold feet. Used to get blisters all the time w/o realizing it too. I started using Thorlos and the incident rate has greatly decreased. Also, use neoprene waders w/Thinsulate in the boots.

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 pm

regular socks then a wool socks works great.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:44 pm

If your feet sweat a lot try wearing Bama socks. They absorb all the moisture and wick it away from your feet.
Just be sure to dry them after each trip.
http://www.reddenmarine.com/xtratuf-ser ... iners.html
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:09 pm

If you would quit peeing in your boots you would not need high dollar sockies.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Badbuzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:18 pm

For those that get wet feet. Be sure to pick up cornstarch baby powder and dust your feet before putting on your socks. It will aborb any excesss moisture.

I am in the camp of wearing a thin wicking liner (usually a silver sock liner) Silver socks (liners) were developed by NASA. They have metallic fibers sewn in to the threads, that keep heat in and wick at the same time. I use socks that have SmartSilver which controls odor bacteria as well as having wicking/temp control properties. I then wear merino wool on top of that.

If you are not a fan of liners, you can also buy wool socks that have the above in them such Wigwam (-40 SIlver)

Thoros socks were also develped for high altitude/mountaineering. Where temperatures are crazy cold, and wet feet ususally means frostbite, and toe/foot loss. They are great socks as well.

For those looking for bargain, brand name socks like smartwool, etc, check with your local Marshalls or Winners (If you have them down in the States) they are usually seconds with some type of flaw, but that is usually a cosmetic flaw, not a functional flaw.

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm

As others have said you don't want a tight fit when your foot is in the boot. I actually go to a wide (E) boot for cold weather and found it makes a difference for me. I can even go down a 1/2 size if I go wider without any issues.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum