Need a Backstrap Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need a Backstrap Recipe

Postby double_D » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:51 am

Well I finally shot my first deer yesterday on a whim and need a simple recipe for back straps that I can cook up at the camp this weekend. I know i could just throw it in some Allegro or Dale's but was wondering what you guys do.

Thanks in advance
"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm. "
- Theodore Roosevelt
double_D
hunter

Re: Need a Backstrap Recipe

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Chicken fried is the best... But I like marinating in Italian dressing if I'm gonna grill.... Backstraps don't require much seasoning in my opinion since they are so delicious by theirselves...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Italian, worchestire, mustard, salt/pepper, garlic powder....then straight on the grill.

Use your normal steak marinade, but stick to medium.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby flight control » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Try some sliced thin with salt and pepper, fried in bacon grease and sprinkle with some brown sugar before they are done. That's the traditional first breakfast after a deer kill in our family, served with some eggs, bacon, toast, whatever you like. Don't get much simpler than that.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 pm

I have never had back strap, so I don't know if this will work. But this is what I do with venison that I get from friends. Marinade for 8-24hrs in a 1/2 bottle of merlot, garlic, fresh ground pepper, terayaki sauce, and finely chopped schallots (sp). When you put the strap or steaks whatever your cooking, reduce the marinade and drissle over before serving.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby double_D » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 am

All of these sound really good and I should have enough to try them all, I will definitely have to try that breakfast recipe Saturday morning before we hunt.
"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm. "
- Theodore Roosevelt
double_D
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Country Style Backstrap in Gravy- feeds 6-7

Slice backstrap into 1/2" thick pieces (12-14 pieces for a small crowd) and lightly pound with meat hammer to 1/4" or thinner final thickness

Salt/pepper and lightly flour the pieces

In a 8+qt pot lightly brown pieces in a small amount of vegetable oil & remove pieces once browned-repeat until all pieces are browned and removed from pot (you are browning- not cooking them at this time)

Put 1/4 cup flour over oil and scrapings and stir around until browned

Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups milk or water to pot and stir to make gravy, simmer until thickened- if too thick add more water or milk to get the right consistency

Salt & pepper gravy to taste then add pieces of backstrap to gravy and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring to keep gravy from sticking

Serve with rice

You can add to or take from the recipe depending upon the crowd, just adjust the wuantities of flour and liquid for gravy
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 am

DON'T bread and fry backstrap!! That's the best piece of meat. Simply rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper then grill to medium rare. Marinading in italian dressing before grilling is good also.
cn44
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 pm

My wife did one for Thanksgiving that was simple and awesome. She peeled a clove of garlic or two anddded a few sprigs of Rosemary, sprinkled witj salt and pepper, wrapped in foil and popped it in the oven for twenty minutes. I'd imagine you could do the same at camp in a fire or on the grill. Adjust cooking time to get to medium or just past medium doneness. Keep it simple backstrap is plenty good with nothing on it.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby BustinSky » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 am

I like to marinade mine in some soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, olive oil, black pepper and squeeze of lemon. Marinade for at least 4 hours overnight is best and then grill it to medium rare. Tasty stuff! My wife and kids love it and they don't really like to eat game meat.
BustinSky
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 am

cn44 wrote:DON'T bread and fry backstrap!! That's the best piece of meat. Simply rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper then grill to medium rare. Marinading in italian dressing before grilling is good also.

Obviously you are not from Texas! Lol to each their own... Egg wash, flour, seasoning and bacon grease make tasty straps even tastier! :thumbsup:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
cn44 wrote:DON'T bread and fry backstrap!! That's the best piece of meat. Simply rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper then grill to medium rare. Marinading in italian dressing before grilling is good also.

Obviously you are not from Texas! Lol to each their own... Egg wash, flour, seasoning and bacon grease make tasty straps even tastier! :thumbsup:

No I'm not ha! I agree that it's a very tasty way to cook them but why use the prime cut of meat for that? Just covering the flavor and tenderness of the cut. Usually slice roasts up if we want breaded and fried venny. But I agree, to each their own (BTW I wouldn't turn down any fried straps!)
cn44
hunter

Postby double_D » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Well we ended up frying both of them up and putting them over rice with some awesome gravy and I can honestly say that I've never been that full in my entire life. 5 of us ate both of them and were all about to pop but couldn't stop eating it. I'm planning on shooting at least 1 more deer this year now that I have the time since I'm in college and will definitely have to try the other recipes you guys shared. Thanks. :beer:
- Theodore Roosevelt
double_D
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Stuffed/grilled backstrap:

Cut backstrap lengthwise 2/3 of the way through creating a pseudo submarine sammich bread type of holder
Put a handful of half cooked breakfast sausage chunks, 2-3 tablespoons of cream cheese and jalapano pepper slices into cavity
Close halves around stuffing and wrap with bacon strips to seal and keep closed
Grill (or oven cook on broiler pan at 375) until venison is medium rare/medium
slice into 1" pieces and serve

Note: the only reason I mentioned the country style steak recipe was due to a prior mention of frying. Myself I cut chunks of shoulder or ham to do CS steaks in gravy and leave the backstrap to things like stuffed or just marinated & grilled.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 am

This all sounds like sacrilege!
Might as well throw it in a crock pot
with cream of who cares soup.

I don't know what the deer taste like
where everyone lives. I treat it like any
tenderloin. A simple rub or steak
seasoning and grill it medium rare.
Cut it with a fork, it's so tender.