cleaning ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

cleaning ducks

Postby hobbsj » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 am

I've always just breasted my ducks but want to try plucking them for a couple of recipes. I'm planning on doing the wax in water method. Do you field clean the ducks before doing this? If so, do you get wax in the bird an ruin some meat? Also, if I wanted to keep just the breast but have the skin still on, what's the best method? I was thinking of dry plucking and then singing the few remaining feathers with a torch. Thanks.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: cleaning ducks

Postby flight control » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 pm

I have never done the wax method but I know you do not gut the bird until after waxing. I have always been happy with the torch method. To me, it's not duck season until I have smelled burning down.

When I want to keep the skin on the breasts, I pluck the breast, torch it and then remove the breast. You want to torch it before you get all kinds of blood on it or the feathers/down won't burn.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 pm

I to want to pluck a duck or two this year and I found this video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtVqBKjWFs
MacAttack
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I used that video to guide me through plucking a duck, came out awesome the first time, perfect. The second duck was a bit smaller and I used the left over wax from the first, not enough wax, totally sucked. Go big or go home with the wax...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks. I did the wax and you were right. You need to make sure you have plenty in there. I did 1 block for my first and it just wasn't enough. The leftover wax plus 1 more block did the second nicely. I imagine the wide pot played in to it as the floating wax layer was not as deep. But, the bird looks good. Thanks.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking