Longlines?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Longlines?

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 pm

What do you use for your longlines, i cannot remember... is it parachute cord? What size if so, and can i get it at Walmart?

Thanks,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Re: Longlines?

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm

My longlines are parachute cord, but lots of guys use tarred line, which is stiffer and less apt to tangle. It really depends on how you pack your rig into your boat and how you store things. I doubt Walmart would have the tarred line; it's a specialty item used in the fishing industry. You can, if you choose, buy some small nylon rope and tar it yourself. A search should tell you all you need to know about tarring your lines.
Smith
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, how about parachute cord then. Would wally world carry that?

Thanks,

hunter

Postby quacktea » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:15 pm

You can get tarred line at Gander for cheap. Or get it online. I have used both and the tarred line is by far easier to work with for long lines.
There's no business like show business, but there's no job like a blow job
quacktea
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Well im in a pinch for some line to use... is there an alternatives to those i can get at a local store like Wally World... etc...?

Thanks,

hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 am

I doubt wally world has it. Try sportsman's guide or ebay for the cheapest alternative. You can usually get stuff shipped in 2-3 days if you choose priority. I would definetely stick with black or dark olive green colors
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am

OKay guys... thought maybe there would be something i could use for now that i could pick up locally. Reason being... Setting up for divers tmmrw!
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

Para cord will work just fine.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm

ohioboy wrote:Para cord will work just fine.

And you can find it at any store that sells camping supplies..... Including Wal-mart.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks guys... Tmmrws my first diver set upp with long lines and such... Pretty stoked...

Goodluck to all!!!

hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I use 400lb mono it doesn't tangle and its clear. I use it for singles and longlines. The cheapest place I have found it is at snlcorp.com I buy it in 5lb spools.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Really? Not a bad idea man.. thanks for the suggestion. I had to used decoy line today... it worked but no divers :( ... They wouldnt decoy. I dont undertsand why ppl say divers are dumb. I have had mor trouble decoying divers then i do with puddle ducks. They are so darn picky for me... and offcourse maybe its because i live in PA where the pressure is 50 x more than any other state. Idk guess... I had 2 dozen out Buffies bluebilss and pair of ringers. Either they would come straight for us and veer off or not eveb look out way? Now i set them up bout 35 yds into about 15 yds... Is this to close? I have to hunt from shore because not allowed to use boats on ths body of water. So i was hunting off a point. Also right after my decoys ther was a 40 by several hunrdered yd sheet of ice that was theo nly part froze onthe whole darn lake and it was right pastg my dekes...? Maybe this was a problem.. Because the ones that were coming then veered off anf landed just outisde the ice....?

I ran 7 buffs strung into the bank leading twd me and then broke a few single off to the right consisting of sosme more buffs a pair or ringers and a few BBS. Mixed them up. Then to the left of the buff long line i made a perpendicular line of BBS consisting of 4 or 5 more longlining into the group... so it was almost like a backwards L with some decoys scattred to the right.

So any tips guys on what could have been going on....?

Thanks,

hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Make pockets so that the birds can land into wind. Make a few longlines with weigths on both ends so you can bend them so that its not a straight line it'll make a U, C, J, or S type shapes with a few lines and always have several single decoys so you can fill in some spots giving it a more realistic look. Also ringers tend to pair up together make small little groups of decoys throughout a big spread.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:26 pm

OKay man thanks for the advice. So basically make a longline into a shape and make other decoys in small groups creating a pocket? And how about if they are not giving you a look or veering off... Change the spread? Or you think i just need more decoys?
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Also, do you think i could make a flag on an extending light pole to catch their attention or something to hget thrm to look...?
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Depending on how deep try a baby mojo, you can paint it but its not necessary, or a mojo blue bill floater if the water isn't too rough. You could try the flag I don't know if it would work or not. You could also try the mojo wing things and rig a way to float a few of them it would be cheaper than a floating mojo.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:16 pm

For buffs..try small spreads. It sounds stupid but a pair of buffies off the edge of your spread can work wonders. Also if you make a sharp v formation out of buff dekes they love that too. Buffs like being sperate from thbig ducks so keep that in mind...ive had up to 2 dozen buffs decoy to very small spreads on. Several. Occasions
..I hope it helps.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 am

I wish i could use mojos but i live in PA and its illegal... pa sucks :hammer: So your saying... seperate the buffs from the other species.? What species are mixable...? And you think a pair of bufs would be more effective than a dozen or so?
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

I tend to keep species seperate for the most part. Some people will say it does Not matter but it works for me. If you are gonna mix divers..just keep buffs goldeneye and old squawk sepperate.
And for dekes numbers it depends what the birds like. I typically start out with a big v like formation if I'm on big water. If I see the birds are looking but not committing,I try breaking up the v and puling some dekes so it looks less intimidating. Smaller water likes creeks and near marina's. I tend to just put 2 out at the edge of my spread for starters. And change acordingly
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm

We usually have blue bills and cans together in large Ls with a pocket at the end. The buffs go in the middle or off the side in a v with 3 or four decoys. And a single or pair at the end of the cans and bbs. Also ive noticed with golden eyes and buddies is that they like hen decoys. And for Goldeneyes if you use them work good on long lines with 4 or 5 dekes. For big water spreads.
Last edited by SMDGUNNER on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Try making a T formation I used it this morning b/c of shifting winds and got a limit real quick watched birds decoy in and swim around for a couple hours after I got my limit.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Okay so what tou saying is mke sure buffs are seperate from the other species? So can i mix my BBS rings and CANVS then? or how should i do those.? And i do have more hen buffs then drake... we have 18 buffies and most are hens that my friend painted. How far out should i put my decoys.. like 40 yards... basically as far as possible as i can from the bank? Because i know divers do not like land!!! :fingerpt:
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Yes...mixing your bills and cans is fne. Set your buffs just off away..it doesn't have to be far. Either a few on the outskirts of your spread or if you have a big spread out just put the big v riht in front of your blind. The thing is..their not to smart. Just expirement with what we all told you and you should find what the birds like in you're are.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm

And for distance ...expirement with that too. Here in Md me and my bro have landed buffs three feet off the boat. For depth just get them out in water deeper then 3 ft. Its all up to you. Ive shot buffs at 45 yards and at 5 yards . Theirs a million ways for decoy placement for bufflehead.just remmener keep em sepperate.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Okay man... thanks for the advice... Il use it wisely this saturday!!! And if they dont decoy il change the decoys rigth away!!! Thanks again for the advice!!

hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting