Never Seen Before

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Never Seen Before

Postby pmahler » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Scouting a field next to a spot of mine that unfortunately had 500-750 mallards in it (don't think traffic running will work) & had a first: 8-12 swans milling about the mallies eating wheat, half of em had collars on too, anybody ever seen that? Other odd thing was that it was 50 degrees out & the birds were eating ALL day w/no storm on the horizon. Odd eh?

Seeing the swans re-solidifies the notion that we are dead in the middle of the 2nd wave & soon the big boys will be arriving. Saw a couple good flocks of teal today as well (I know not unusual but where I was they are normally gonzo this time of year). All the ponds are back open again as we'll.
pmahler
hunter

Re: Never Seen Before

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 am

I hope you're right, and think you probably are. There's not even many goldeneye on the Mo right now.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:54 pm

There is a serious lack of ducks on the impoundments behind the dams in Great Falls. There isn't much place for them to land for all the geese. That is the bright side.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Tough water hunting hunting out there recently. Lots a lot of birds when our slack water froze and now that everything is wide open again they are spread from hell to breakfast. Gonna either need a hard freeze, or a new push to make hunting a lot of my open water spots worthwhile. Heck, I haven't shot a limit in about 10 days now; last three hunts = 0, 1, 0 :fingerhead:

Gonna go out and scout in a few seconds, but not overly enthusiastic.
wingnutty
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting