Change Season Dates?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Im sorry but your post really doesn't make much sense. So prime time deer hunting and migrating ducks happen at the same time? So....What do u want the DNR to do about that. A later duck season would change this if Im getting at what ur saying. It seems like all the states down south really don't hunt the local ducks much because they wait for the migrators. Where here in WI half of our season is hunting locals and divers. WI deer hunting season dates aren't gonna change anytime soon. However it seems that a lot of guys are upset with the Duck dates. The main problem with WI is about 75% of hunters aren't very serious. However the DNR try's to meet what they want rather than what the group of dedicated hunters want. I wore a sweatshirt pretty much the whole season last year. I don't really see the point of investing in super nice extreme cold weather jackets.. We simply don't need them unless you hunt late season geese.



Yes, I am saying that prime time deer hunting ( Nov 10- Thru gun season) and the only real chance we have at big pushes of migrating ducks occur at the same time.

What this mean for you, being a "serious" duck hunter, is that you get to enjoy the best part of duck season unencumubered by 75% of the state's hunters (according to your figures) because they are all deer hunting.

I agree that moving the season back would be great, but what would be great about it is giving WI hunters the chance to do all the deer hunting they need without sacrificing the best stretch of duck season (the one that occurs for a month after our current duck season closes).

As for catering to what the idiotic masses want, that's just good business, you'd do it too. One "nine day" firearm deer season in Wisconsin generates more revenue for WIDNR and the state economy than the last ten duck seasons have, gauranteed. Deer are king in these parts, just how it is.

Why does AR have such a killer duck season structure? Look at how commericalized it is. Ducks are big money down there, they can't sit and stare at empty skies for half the season, the local economies depend on big numbers. It's the same here, just with whitetails.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI


Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Almost A Fox » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 am

I am saying the DNR won't change to a later season because they say the most birds are harvested prior to the rut (in Oct). They say our harvest numbers drop in November(and keep going down), which would make sense due to everyone bow hunting. They won't give up any time in October because that is when all the deer hunters do their waterfowl hunting. I wish we could have a longer break, but I don't see that happening in Oct. Like Bill Said 75% of the guys who waterfowl hunt are not avid waterfowlers in WI. I think our only hope is to get huge numbers to the spring hearings and let them know what we want.

From the DNR Website
On Monday, April 8, there will be 72 public hearings, one in each county starting at 7:00 p.m. where individuals interested in natural resources management have an opportunity to provide their input by non-binding vote and testimony to the Department of Natural Resources, Natural Resources Board and the Conservation Congress on proposed hunting and fishing rule changes and advisory questions.
Almost A Fox
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:45 pm

What would be neat, but I've never heard of it being done, is offer two licenses. One with the current season structure and another with a longer October split that allows the season to run further into December. Both would be 60 days, just not the same 60 days. Let hunters chose which one they want to buy. This way they could gauge how popular it is without completely re-working the season structure for everyone.


Talk about a win-win.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am

Heres what I dont get u complain about the seasons but what do u want the DNR to do about it. Or are u just mad that they both happen at the same time?
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Heres what I dont get u complain about the seasons but what do u want the DNR to do about it. Or are u just mad that they both happen at the same time?


I'm not mad, but it sounds like you might be?

Good whitetail hunting and good duck hunting happen at the same time here, and that's something that isn't worth getting mad about, because I don't see that changing. There is nothing me, you, or the WIDNR can do about that. :lol3:

Now, a duck season that went further into December would provide more opportunites for duck hunters, and at a time when most people are done deer hunting. I don't like lumping hunters into one category or the other. You can be both a duck hunter and a deer hunter, and I think that keeping this in mind will get you a lot further when dealing with the DNR. Make them feel like state sportsman as an aggregate want this. Like I said before, duck hunters aren't that important here. They don't have to listen to you, and if you frame your argument in such terms that it feels like duck hunters and deer hunters are in conflict, you give them even less reason to want to help you.

I don't do enough duck hunting to care either way, at least not until I'm out of school, after which I will most likely leave the state.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I dont deer hunt. Your just complaining about seasons intertwinding.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote: Your just complaining about seasons intertwinding.


You're just complaining period.

What do you think should be done?
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:41 am

I never complained about seasons intertwining. I said they should make duck season go into December by extending the break. You either choose to go Deer hunting or Duck Hunting. Sorry your so upset about it but its a fact of life. It stinks for a lot of guys like you but they can't do anything about it.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:36 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote: I said they should make duck season go into December by extending the break


Bill Herian wrote:Now, a duck season that went further into December would provide more opportunites for duck hunters


Bill Herian wrote:What would be neat, but I've never heard of it being done, is offer two licenses. One with the current season structure and another with a longer October split that allows the season to run further into December.


Way to steal my idea :lol3:
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby gatorsnagger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm

2 week split between the puddlers leaving and divers arriving would be good.
gatorsnagger
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Previous

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests