Another New Guy Question

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, cartervj, jsa, andrew_kirby

Another New Guy Question

Postby Apoc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

Where did all the ducks go? Is the season over or will they come back? I saw a few last Sat. but nothing since here in NW OH. :sad:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Re: Another New Guy Question

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Pray for snow & cold,especially up north. It ain't over till its over.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby camolab » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 pm

I see thousands of geese still. Not many ducks left around though. Maybee there still coming down. Ohio mikes right Aint over til its over. ducks or not i will sit around and wait for something lol
camolab
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 am

I live in the SW. Where I'm at there in Ohio though there aren't ever a lot of ducks so I'd say it's probably about average. Keep your fingers crossed for some colder weather.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:14 am

I haven't been out much but from the looks of things we're pretty soft. Need some water in my holes and don't think many birds have pushed down - especially geese. Did see a flock of cranes the other day.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I burned some gas this morning, found a few handfuls of geese but very few ducks. Now I need to get a hold of plat book.

I also found a field that had what must have been an honest 2k sea gulls in it. I've never seen so many sea gulls, it was unreal. :lol3:
What happened?
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:52 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.

Nice! Congrats on the Canvasback :thumbsup:
What happened?
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ThePro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 am

It has not even started yet, i have hunted out west and south and killed ducks and geese at different stages in the flyway. Here in ohio i dont even start to get excited until christmas and you need some snow. The final 3 weeks of the season are always the best. However i did find a few black ducks mix in with a group of mallards the other day, a very niece surprise this early.
ThePro
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

ThePro wrote:It has not even started yet, i have hunted out west and south and killed ducks and geese at different stages in the flyway. Here in ohio i dont even start to get excited until christmas and you need some snow. The final 3 weeks of the season are always the best. However i did find a few black ducks mix in with a group of mallards the other day, a very niece surprise this early.

Agreed! Had a few luck years where temps moved birds down around Xmas and a softening spell in January with rain brought 'em back north.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 am

Botiz630 wrote:
vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.

Nice! Congrats on the Canvasback :thumbsup:

Wow congrats that gives me a glimmer of hope that i can shoot one. I got buzzed by 6 woodies Saturday afternoon i don know if they are resident or were passing thru
if you can keep your head when everyone is losing theirs, you don't understand the situation.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting