Kankakee River

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Kankakee River

Postby cap » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't consider this question "internet scouting" because I am a frequent fisherman and waterfowl hunter on the Kankakee River. I am also a regular participant in the blind drawing, but my luck is lousy and I have never had my name pulled from the basket. The fact that I did not draw a blind and that the weather has been so warm has resulted in me not making a trip to the river for waterfowl. It seems like there has been very little movement of ducks or geese on the Kank in the last three or four weeks, but with the freeze up in the north going strong, I was wondering if anyone would mind simply telling me if there has been an increased number of birds moving in?

Thank you
cap
hunter

Re: Kankakee River

Postby jimkoz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

I hunt near Aroma Park. No ducks or geese this year yet.Never seen it this slow. They will come when everything freezes up. River very low also,will freeze quick.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Aroma Park is west of Momence
jimkoz
hunter

Postby cap » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. Your comments about what will happen once the temperatures drop makes a ton of sense and, as I remember, is consistent with past seasons.

Thanks and good luck!
cap
hunter

Postby dduckman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Is there any info i can find about hunting that area? I mean can I just hunt from my boat blind and is there a map I can get with city boundaries and so fourth?

Thanks...Dan
dduckman
hunter

Postby greenhead827 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Dan, people own so far out into the water. They own the land under the water, the law says you can not hunt out of a boat unless anchored. If you anchor on property without permission you are tehnically tresspassing......
"I don't like repeat offenders......I like dead offedners!"- The Nuge
greenhead827
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:02 pm

cap i have been accused of internet scouting on another sight but thats in the past, i looked into hunting different rivers , yet to do it . when i talked to the guys that work at the conservation sights they said i should talk to the conservation police that work that area , not easy to do but i found that out when i called springfield .one time i was told you need to be outside city limits , and you have to anchor , and have water all around your boat , you cant get out and walk around , some tips from guys who do it said you need heavier weights on your decoys so they dont float away some do it at the one park off 47 morris they said it gets good when things freeze but you never know also desplaines conservation area has info on that ,hope it helps let us know .
8-mallard
3-gadwall
7-Bluebill
3-GW Teal
1-Smilen Hollywood
Just read it .
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby jimkoz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 am

You can get a map of the Kank at Farm and Fleet.Alot of the river has many summer homes on it.You are right in regard to water rights on the river. If you own property your land goes out to a point on the river.Not sure how many feet. The river is so low right now you would be hard pressed to run a motor. Current is usually strong but not now.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 am

jimkoz wrote:You can get a map of the Kank at Farm and Fleet.Alot of the river has many summer homes on it.You are right in regard to water rights on the river. If you own property your land goes out to a point on the river.Not sure how many feet. The river is so low right now you would be hard pressed to run a motor. Current is usually strong but not now.

Doesn't the land owner, own to 1/2 way across? Then the owner on the other side would own the other 1/2?
supr87gt
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Not sure if it's half way. I think it has something to do with the flood plain.I own the place I hunt so my blind is on the bank of the river. There is no ducks anyway. I hunt In Bath also. Haven't been there in two weeks. Duck are all in one spot and don't move.
'
jimkoz
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm

jimkoz wrote: There is no ducks anyway. '

Right there.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:01 am

The Kankakee Daily Journel had a good artice in the outdoors section yesterday in regard to the poor hunting.Sums it up well.Last sunday I saw four ducks.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:33 am

I've been killin geese in a field next to the river. (All locals). There seems to be a few more ducks in the area, but they're all at the park by the bridge in momence.
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:33 am

jimkoz wrote:The Kankakee Daily Journel had a good artice in the outdoors section yesterday in regard to the poor hunting.Sums it up well.Last sunday I saw four ducks.

That's probably not good. I was out there a couple days ago and shot 3 of them.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 am

jimkoz wrote:The Kankakee Daily Journel had a good artice in the outdoors section yesterday in regard to the poor hunting.

http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=500998&query=hunting
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 am

Supr is a foe of mine and I only can imagine what intelligent conversation he would have added to this thread... :fingerhead:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:37 am

Article wasn't that bad, just stated pretty much facts, if your hunting you already know .,. To this point of the year.

Heading out to to Kankakee to de-ice the boat ( no one covered it or pumped it out after rain ).

Will throw some gear in as we'll, in case the spirt moves me to hunt the afternoon.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Supr is a foe of mine and I only can imagine what intelligent conversation he would have added to this thread... :fingerhead:

It was kinda funny this time...said he killed 3 of the 4 ducks that someone else saw...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 am

Went out yesterday. Didn't even see the one duck left.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:25 am

Sat out there Saturday and enjoyed a nice cigar, best part of the hunt.

Saw aprox 30 golden eyes and 40 to 50 geese, nothing slowed down and even gave me a look.

Might try and get out Wednesday with some bad weather .
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:37 am

Things are picking up on the river. I actually heard a goose yesterday evening while working on the property!
jimkoz
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting