Anyone hunt Sherburne at all this year?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Postby LSUzeke » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 am

If so how does it look? Lots of ducks? Or lots of hunters?
LSUzeke
hunter

Re: Anyone hunt Sherburne at all this year?

Postby LSUzeke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Nope? Ok well I plan to make a couple trips during second split if anyone would like to join.
LSUzeke
hunter

Postby LAvenator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 am

I made one hunt a couple weeks ago. It was a bust. One woodie. The Des Ourses Swamp is really low. I couldn't even make it to my hole in my kayak. Had to hunt off the slough.

If you want to make a trip out there when the season kicks back up, let me know. Hopefully by then we'll have enough water. I would imagine there's some birds out there right now. I had a good season out there last year. It's just a matter of getting to the areas that hold birds without the help of a mudboat.
LAvenator
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Should have the water you need after the last 2-3 days
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby LAvenator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:03 pm

You think so? I was under the impression that the water levels in the basin had more to do with the Mississippi's level, which, as you well know, will probably not be affected much at all by the few inches of rain we've come into. My impression, of course, could be--and I hope is--wrong. Those of y'all who either hunt or know the basin well might chime in here. Will the spell of rain we've just had do much in the way of bringing the water levels up in the swampy areas for more than a couple of days? I know both Sherburne and Indian Bayou are (were?) way down.
LAvenator
hunter

Postby blacknwhite71 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:34 am

I wasn't impressed at all around sherburne this year. Not nearly enough water yet, I couldn't even get to my holes on sherburne maybe two inches of water in the bayou I travel. That area of the basin is effected very seriously by rain, from 10 to morganza you have a lot of area to catch rain and the water that isn't soaked up by the ground makes its way down. But that doesn't last long at all unless it's a real downpour. The area is effected by the Atchafalaya which is fed by the Mississippi, the only time the Mississippi effects the basin other than through the atchafalaya is when it comes through the flood gates in morganza which is very little when it's coming from cowhead bayou when they have one lock open when the forebay is flooded or when they open them all up because they have to and they flood out the whole place but that's only happened once in my lifetime and twice ever if I'm not mistaken. If you want to have an idea of water levels look at the Atchafalaya gauge at butte larose that's your closest gauge. The wind plays a huge part also, a north wind can pull water out of a lot of places in the area pretty fast when it's this low.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Postby blacknwhite71 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 am

Oh yeah the North Farm is completely loaded with birds. I mean clouds of birds that look like tornadoes coming down when they get spooked up thousands upon thousands.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Postby LSUzeke » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 am

I went out there Sunday to do a little scouting after everyone had cleared out from the morning hunt. I jumped a couple woodies out of some holes but didnt see anything worth going after. I checked out mostly Section 120 area only since I didnt have a boat and scouted on foot. To hunt North Farm would I need a boat? I have a prodrive but have it down in Chauvin at my lease. Would rather not have to run it back and forth. Also does anyone want to get together for some hunts out at Sherburne or IB?
LSUzeke
hunter

Postby LAvenator » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 pm

North Farm is off limits. They only offer lottery hunts a couple times a year.

If you want to make a hunt after Christmas, shoot me an e-mail. There's a few birds out there, and I have an extra kayak.
LAvenator
hunter

Postby MonsterMallard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:31 pm

i will be out there the second week in january. my buddy has a camp there. send me a message if ya wanna hook up
MonsterMallard
hunter

Postby LSUzeke » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 pm

I definitely would like to make a trip, especially if anyone knows where the greenheads are hanging out. Was thinking of going out there Thursday morning and trying to draw one of the blinds in South Farm. I have never been but I've heard that the game wardens bring you to your blind and you are allowed to bring a dozen dekes and a box of shells but does anyone know if you are allowed to bring a dog? and if the blinds are dog friendly (dog box, ramp, ladder, etc.)?
LSUzeke
hunter

Postby loon18 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Did you make it out there Thursday? Were there a lot of hunters? Just trying to figure out if I would have a decent chance of getting a blind since it's a duck desert where I usually hunt.
loon18
Newb

Postby farad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Went to Sherburne New Years morning. Took a couple of Woodies. About the time the rain started had to leave due to family commitments. Water is much better in Sherburne. Will try lottery hunt in the morning. If that doesn't work out then off to the swamp.
farad
Newb

Postby Joe-Nathan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm

LSUzeke wrote:I definitely would like to make a trip, especially if anyone knows where the greenheads are hanging out. Was thinking of going out there Thursday morning and trying to draw one of the blinds in South Farm. I have never been but I've heard that the game wardens bring you to your blind and you are allowed to bring a dozen dekes and a box of shells but does anyone know if you are allowed to bring a dog? and if the blinds are dog friendly (dog box, ramp, ladder, etc.)?

South farm is dog friendly. Bbbuuuuuuutttttttttt there are no blinds. You have to build one out of native material or bring you own netting. There is usually one that is built by previous hunters that you have to refresh. So bring a marsh set and a dog stand. Or you could just wallow out a hole like my fat arse does.
I have not been out there this season yet. Will be trying during the last two weeks of the season if works lets me....

Sent from my free Obama iPhone aboard the Voyager 1
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)
Joe-Nathan
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting