Diver hunter needs help!

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Diver hunter needs help!

Postby loon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 am

I'm just a diver hunter but I thought you guys Might have some ideas. I hunt on a wide-open gravel bar, I've tried using a brushed out power hunter The ducks aren't buying it . Water levels change so often I can't dig a pit What do I do buy a duck suit?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Diver hunter needs help!

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:36 pm

What have you tried to match that gravel bar? Driftwood? Goose silos? Got to try to be inventive.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 am

The other option may be to make a rock or brush pile (or two) on the bar so the birds get used to it. Then putting your blind next to it won't be "un-natural". Id probably put my blind down and place rocks around it then remove it and throw some brush over the opening. Then when you come back to hunt remove the brush, put your blind inside the rocks and put the brush back over it.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Sounds cheesey, but you could make some stones out of the foam board from lowes or home depot and paint them gray or what ever color. then use stickey velcrow strips to adhere them to the blind that way you can take them off when you are hunting some where different. and like some one else said put your blind next to a pile of rocks and you would look like another pile of rocks. I have similar problems where i hunt particularly in late seasn when all of the launches freeze in and i'm stuck hunting shorelines and the cover sucks. It's tough to hide sometimes and you just have to be creative and make the best of it. Another thing to consider is if you are down in your blind and very still, are the birds flairing because of you for sure, or is it some thing else like shine on your decoys or any number of things.
jeepman
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 am

Those are all good ideas the brush might wash away in the next seiche(almost like a tide but its unpredictable )water levels change by a foot or two over a couple hours depending on wind and high/low pressure fronts. I also saw some stuff on the lock stock and barrel decoy website about visqueen plastic to match the water instead of the land. the bar is only inches above water level so it appears and disappears several times a day. thanks for the help
loon
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 am

Can u build a blind. You could buy the plastic rocks they sell at Menards, Home Depot, etc.. and put it on the sides. I think it might be something else too because I will sit out in the open and kill divers. If you don't move around too much they won't care.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Try a layout boat
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Jake S » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm

what about a few big swan sillouets. up here on supirior I see swans sitting near ducks all the time. I was actually thinking about making some just for visibility, but they would work great for hiding behind to. I don't know how many swans you see though.
Jake S
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

I know this is an old post by wanted to tell you my plan I'm going to buy a dozen of the real geese silhouettes and place those around me on the gravel bar which should give me some cover and a lot better visibility to everything including ducks and geese and even a crack at some of the Canada's that flyby. I'll let you know how it turns out
loon
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting