Crestview/Eglin AFB Wood Ducks

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Crestview/Eglin AFB Wood Ducks

Postby auburn_1984 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi, I am currently stationed overseas and suppose to be coming back to the states in the beginning of 2013. As of right now I am getting orders to Eglin AFB. I am originally from North Mobile AL. I am trying to get into duck hunting and thought it would suite me best to try wood duck hunting since every where i read it says that wood ducks are far more plentiful than any other duck hunting in the area. I have grown up deer and small game hunting and now want to give duck hunting a try.

I am mainly looking for information on how to get started and what to look for as far as scouting and what areas hold the most wood duck populations. When scouting for whitetails I use topo maps and google earth to try and find travel corridoirs then go look at the areas. I am trying to do the same thing for duck hunting and wanted some information about what to look for.
auburn_1984
hunter

Re: Crestview/Eglin AFB Wood Ducks

Postby BigBend » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Look for flooded harwoods, beaver ponds, cypress ponds etc. for wood ducks. A hunting partner of mine grew up in Niceville and hunted Eglin alot growing up. There are some areas in eglin wma that hold woodies and you'll be able to hunt divers out of that part of the state as well. good luck and welcome to the forum.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby auburn_1984 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks for the information. I will look into that when i get back state side. I would probably do better finding a experienced person to go along with and learn from there expereince and wisdom.
auburn_1984
hunter

Re: Re: Crestview/Eglin AFB Wood Ducks

Postby whaknstak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 am

auburn_1984 wrote:I would probably do better finding a experienced person to go along with and learn from there expereince and wisdom.

This. Thank you for your service and best of luck this season!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 am

whaknstak, your welcome. I wish i was going to be back for this season but will not be back until Feb-Mar of the begining of the year. I will probably try hunting the first year without a boat or like previously said find someone to go with and learn me a thing or two. Might try my look scouting out a few beaver ponds and things like that. There is one postive thing is that i can do some squirel hunting while looking for the secluded areas off the beatn path.
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm

I grew up running all over the reservations up there an fishing every puddle of water we could find. I know the the reservation lakes and ponds are not what they used to be, but if you head East, you might find some luck, and North toward AL you might find something as well. This is coming from several years removed from the area, and based on the fact that from my experiences, anything on Eglin reservations is diminishing.I have some buddies that do well bow hunting for dear, but I'm guessing the duck hunting might be better toward Alabama. Just a guess, but just don't want you to be too disappointed with reservations.....it seems that every year they close off more and more.......it's kind of painful to watch compared to the 90's. Also, I know nothing about the rules and regs of hunting the res..........
sbr01
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

I was wondering if someone could break down the types of birds are located in the area. I am trying to do some research so i will know what to look for and what the birds look like and etc. For example if you are up in the marshes hunting wood ducks and you get your limit what other ducks are available or that you go for?

This may seem very beginner but like previously mentioned i am just getting into the sport. I saw a post somewhere about the AL delta area and a guy broke it down by regions of the delta. Such as the north delta area has these species mainly and the central these and so on.

I will probably invest in a good pair of waders and see how i do the first year when i get back. Probably will do most of my hunting by wading and scouting since i dont own a boat right now. I have a shotgun that i have had since i was 15 (Rem 870 express magnum).
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby jedisme » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 am

Woodies, few Teal, Merganzers, Buffleheads, Redheads, Gadwall (sparce), Ringnecks. Probably left one or two out. Other than woodies mostly divers around these parts.
jedisme
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

jedisme: Thanks for the information. I will probably do most of my time chasing Woodies and gadwall. I will probably become more diverse overtime but want to target into a select species to get my feet wet.
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

without a boat and a "good" dog your options are limited.
1 #most all the good ponds on eglin for woodies/teal are a min of a 1/4 mile walk most being 1/2. dragging a boat is very hard through the woods, a dog is needed.
2# for all your other divers in this region / a few puddlers, a boat is needed for public waterways.

Ive lived in the panhandle my whole life and have hunted just about every pothole, creek, pond, lake, bay, stream, river and 4-5 handfuls of private ponds i lease and have permission to hunt.
so to save you a headach of having to learn all this the hard way there ya go. even tho it sounded rough.

3# the beginning of next season pm me or call me.
I DO NOT hunt eglin anymore just because of the headach and people you have to deal with just to kill a duck, but i will take you a few time just so you can pull the trigger on a few ducks and show you what im talking about if your still wanting to by next year. only thing i ask is to keep your mouth closed on where we hunted especially on this chat room... just remind me you were the guy from DHC ive got a bad memory
you can find my number at:
destininshorecharters.com

capt. chris k.
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

oh forgot to tell you, you have to buy me and my dog breakfast. we both like sausage biscuits. :beer:
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 am

Will do that and believe me i know how to keep a secret and respect others. I will be getting in tough come next year. I like sausage biscuits to so will have to get plenty to go around.
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby eodleggs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:28 pm

I am down in the area on vacation and interested in learning some areas to hunt. Wife and I are stationed at Cannon AFB in New Mexico, but plan on relocating here within the next year as well. I will be here thru Thursday next week. Please let me know if any of you would be interested in helping me out. Thanks for your help.....
eodleggs
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting