fleshing?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

fleshing?

Postby highrisetackle » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm

How far do u have to take a skin down. Just the meet? All the fat?
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Re: fleshing?

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 am

I will preface this with "I am not a taxidermist", however I have skinned a few birds and have watched some videos and a few taxidermists prep skins.

You need to get all the meat and as much fat off the bird as possible. You get the meat off for the reason that it is flesh. It will rot and it attracts bugs. The reason you get the fat off is it is oily. When waterfowl are not defatted, the fat left on the skin will eventually start to melt. When it does, it will permeate the skin and show on the feathers. When this happens, you effectively have an oil slick on the bottom of your bird that is rather unattactive and destroys the mount. The only way to win the war with that is to remove the source...but one the bird is mounted and the skin is dry, there really isn't much you can do.

Hopefully one of the real taxidermists will chime in here for ya.

Good luck!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 am

All the way to the feather butts. Meat, fat, and anything that is attached to the skin. Clean out feather tracks and skin from inside should show the feather butts. The cleaner, the better.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby highrisetackle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:37 am

Perfect. Just what i was looking for. I have heard u have to take it down that far. I was just worried about burning through
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am

You'll burn through a couple if you're using a wheel before you get the hang of it.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby dtcrimm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Similar question... I was just watching a video of someone fleshing a duck, and in a couple spots they had caused some holes. They were about the diameter of a drinking straw or maybe slightly smaller. In the video they stated that there is no need to sew these up because the feathers will hide the hole anyway, but I remember reading in other places that you should sew up any holes you make or even holes from pellets.

What's everyone thoughts on that? Is there any disadvantages to just leaving them? Thanks!
dtcrimm
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Depends on where the holes are. Pellet holes aren't a problem unless they are in the head and neck which, if you use caulk, can be a mess. I never sew up shot holes in the body and unless it's a hole dime-sized or bigger anywhere other than the head or neck. Study the holes and make sure you sew them they way they should go back together. For instance vericle or horizontal as it can make a difference as how the feathers line up. Also depends on the position you are going to do the bird. Obviously holes in the breast for instance on a cupped mount need attention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby highrisetackle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Is there other methods then a wheel?
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Some people use scissors, but it is very time consuming and next to impossible to get everything cleaned from the feather track. Some may argue that they can do just as good a job with scissors as a wheel, but I've yet to see it.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby TedC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm

I just cleaned a teal with a scapel last night. Skinning and fleshing took over 3 hours.
TedC
hunter

Postby cfkid8 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 am

Like said before all the meat and fat need to be off. Some guys use "white gas" to help with some of the fat also. I use the wheel for the birds I mount and burn through often. I usually will sew up all holes, just a preference I guess. I have used gas, bird came out fine, if I did a high volume of birds and was able to reuse the gas I would probably use it everytime. But since I only do 5 or 6 birds a year for myself I don't use it everytime. Other than the wheel I have heard people using scissors, but I think that would be hard once you get down to the feather butts. My grandfather was a liscensed taxidermist and he would have my father scrape the skin using a spoon, I have used this before to get fat out from between the butts of the feathers, and it does work pretty well. Not like a wheel tho. good luck!
cfkid8
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum