Alligator in Lake Lanier?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Re: Alligator in Lake Lanier?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Dep6 wrote:True they might be but shine that light around like I told ya and you will know if one is there. Not an LED light but a good old fashioned spotlight. The eyes look almost light green in an LED light.

I dont have a spotlight but il borrow my dads 50,000 watt spotlight lol its the only one he has.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am

Duckslayer26 wrote:
chris_k wrote:Im confused. There is possibly ONE gator in your lake and you are worried about your dog?!? Hahahaha.

Its not my lake, its a 38,834 acre lake. The spot where i found the tracks is really close to where we hunt. I have buddies who live on the lake and apparently have seen a few gators in the past yr which i just found out about when i told them yesterday about this one. It wouldnt be funny if you had a dog you loved get eaten by a gator would it? I dont think so! Also its my buddies dog not mine and I love his dog as much as he does so ya if theres a gator around im gona look out for his dog. Thanks for your concern and have a nice night!

Don't get your feelings hurt so easily...Lanier is nearly 39,000 acres and there MIGHT be a handful of gators in the lake. I don't know chris_k personally, but I know we hunt the same areas, and our lakes have thousands of gators. Plenty of guys down here run their dogs all season long, beginning in early teal season. You just have to be smart about it...scan the area with a spotlight and look for red eyes while it's still dark. If you see eyes, keep the dog in the boat. If you don't, just keep a close eye on the dog and don't send him on long retrieves in deep water.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:
chris_k wrote:Im confused. There is possibly ONE gator in your lake and you are worried about your dog?!? Hahahaha.

Its not my lake, its a 38,834 acre lake. The spot where i found the tracks is really close to where we hunt. I have buddies who live on the lake and apparently have seen a few gators in the past yr which i just found out about when i told them yesterday about this one. It wouldnt be funny if you had a dog you loved get eaten by a gator would it? I dont think so! Also its my buddies dog not mine and I love his dog as much as he does so ya if theres a gator around im gona look out for his dog. Thanks for your concern and have a nice night!

Don't get your feelings hurt so easily...Lanier is nearly 39,000 acres and there MIGHT be a handful of gators in the lake. I don't know chris_k personally, but I know we hunt the same areas, and our lakes have thousands of gators. Plenty of guys down here run their dogs all season long, beginning in early teal season. You just have to be smart about it...scan the area with a spotlight and look for red eyes while it's still dark. If you see eyes, keep the dog in the boat. If you don't, just keep a close eye on the dog and don't send him on long retrieves in deep water.

MY feelings arent hurt by any means. In an other matter than my buddies dog possibly be eaten i would be laughing along with him but I find this to be a serious matter since there is a gator in the area pretty close to where we hunt and want to take every step necessary to make sure the dog is safe. I know theres those kinda people on here that get there jollys off by trying to get people all hyped up and all but im calm as a cucumber over here. Anyways I will take my dads spotlight and look for eyes when we first get there. I dont have a boat yet but hopefully soon il be in the market for one. We have to walk the bank to get to our spot but il keep an eye out for those glowing red eyes. I wouldnt mind having gator tail for dinner though :lol: What kinda boat and motor is that in your avatar Duck dawg?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 am

The point I was trying to make was that 1 gator (if that's what made that print) in an area that large doesn't really pose a huge threat...especially the size gator that would have made that hind-footprint. LOTS of guys hunt with dogs in my area, and most of our lakes are smaller, have thousands of gators, and lots of places for gators to hide. You just have to maintain good situational awareness whenever the dog is in the water.

My boat is a Gheenoe Classic with a Copperhead surface drive.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Alligator in Lake Lanier?

Postby chris_k » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am

There is a lose criminal in the city I live in. That's why i barricaded myself in my house and wont leave the house. Its too dangerous.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby woodiewisperer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 pm

We hunt with them here in south GA alot. Its a small gator for sure. You should be fine. Never had a problem,
even hunting with my little boykin.
woodiewisperer
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm still not sold on those being gator tracks. The more I look at them, the less I'm convinced that that's even one animal. If it was in fact a gator, there would also be prints made by his forelegs.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:The point I was trying to make was that 1 gator (if that's what made that print) in an area that large doesn't really pose a huge threat...especially the size gator that would have made that hind-footprint. LOTS of guys hunt with dogs in my area, and most of our lakes are smaller, have thousands of gators, and lots of places for gators to hide. You just have to maintain good situational awareness whenever the dog is in the water.

Ok man i gotcha. Ya we will be on high alert for sure. What kinda speeds you get?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm

chris_k wrote:There is a lose criminal in the city I live in. That's why i barricaded myself in my house and wont leave the house. Its too dangerous.

:lol3:
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Duckslayer26 wrote:
DUCK-DAWG wrote:The point I was trying to make was that 1 gator (if that's what made that print) in an area that large doesn't really pose a huge threat...especially the size gator that would have made that hind-footprint. LOTS of guys hunt with dogs in my area, and most of our lakes are smaller, have thousands of gators, and lots of places for gators to hide. You just have to maintain good situational awareness whenever the dog is in the water.

Ok man i gotcha. Ya we will be on high alert for sure. What kinda speeds you get?

I've hit 24 by myself...my boat is set up for a lake with a 10HP restriction. I usually run alot of shallow, protected water with thick vegetation, and that boat is just about perfect for it.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:

I've hit 24 by myself...my boat is set up for a lake with a 10HP restriction. I usually run alot of shallow, protected water with thick vegetation, and that boat is just about perfect for it.

What kinda draft does it have and how much water you need to run it in?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

What kinda draft does it have and how much water you need to run it in?

Really just depends on the load and whether I'm over hard or soft bottom. With 2 guys and gear, I need to be in water or soupy mud deep enough to come up to the bottom of my ankle to get going. Once I'm up on step, I only need a few inches of water or soft mud to run wide open. Basically, as long as my prop can stay dug in, and I can keep momentum, I can keep running.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Previous

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting