Foam decoys

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Foam decoys

Postby tcg5099 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Just recently started carving my own foam decoys. anyone out there have any information on: how to keel them, type of paint, or detailing them?
Tyler
tcg5099
hunter

Re: Foam decoys

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 am

check out workingdecoys.net
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby tcg5099 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 am

i can't seem to be able to view any of the pictures on that site. not sure why.
Tyler
tcg5099
hunter

Postby redbeard44 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Im not sure what size decoys you are planning on making, however I have heard for the keels, you can take those plastic H shaped things you roll extension cords up on and cut them in half and use those. Never tried it myself, but it's worth a shot.
redbeard44
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 pm

redbeard44 wrote:Im not sure what size decoys you are planning on making, however I have heard for the keels, you can take those plastic H shaped things you roll extension cords up on and cut them in half and use those. Never tried it myself, but it's worth a shot.

I wouldn't think that would have enough weight to make the decoy self-righting. I use a piece of oak about 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide and cut to desired length depending on decoy. I countersink it into the bottom of the decoy about 1 1/2 inches and glue in with gorilla glue and burap over it. Hope this helps.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby redbeard44 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:27 pm

m.teeter wrote:
redbeard44 wrote:Im not sure what size decoys you are planning on making, however I have heard for the keels, you can take those plastic H shaped things you roll extension cords up on and cut them in half and use those. Never tried it myself, but it's worth a shot.

I wouldn't think that would have enough weight to make the decoy self-righting. I use a piece of oak about 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide and cut to desired length depending on decoy. I countersink it into the bottom of the decoy about 1 1/2 inches and glue in with gorilla glue and burap over it. Hope this helps.

Well like I said I don't know what size decoys they are, but if I had to imagine anything "pro-grade" or goose size wouldn't need one anyway. I've got some goose shells I've converted to floaters without keels and they float just as good if not better then anything else. Plus you can take the heads off and put them flat bottom to flat bottom and the save some room. :smile:
redbeard44
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 am

I completely seal and burlap my deeks, then at the end, I run a screw up to the head with a bead of silicone under the keel and in the hole. Wipe off the squeezed out excess with a rubber glove and let it dry. Hasn't moved yet.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Foam decoys

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 am

Slack Tide wrote:I completely seal and burlap my deeks, then at the end, I run a screw up to the head with a bead of silicone under the keel and in the hole. Wipe off the squeezed out excess with a rubber glove and let it dry. Hasn't moved yet.

Do you run the screw though the keel on it's way to the head, or just through the body of the decoy?
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am

I pre-drill the keel (usually a piece of stock oak or mahogany decking that's laying around) and run it up through the keel to the head.
Just don't over tighten because it will pull the back end of the keel away from the bird because the head end of it is being pulled up and in.
I also have traced the keel onto the bottom, then razor knifed that piece out and dropped the keel into that slot. For this you'll need a healthy bead of silicone to seal and hold the keel in place...again, also with the screw.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Foam decoys

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I completely seal and burlap my deeks, then at the end, I run a screw up to the head with a bead of silicone under the keel and in the hole. Wipe off the squeezed out excess with a rubber glove and let it dry. Hasn't moved yet.

What kind of glue do you use to hold the burlap?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 am

Just mastic.
I've experiemented with a bunch of things and always return to that.
It's all about letting it dry realllllly well.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting