Introduction

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, Outdoor Gal, LadyK

Introduction

Postby PrairieBelle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello! I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself - I'm from Iowa, started hunting upland birds about 6 years ago and picked up the waterfowl obsession about three years ago. I didn't grow up in the waterfowl world - In fact I didn't even pick up a gun until I was 20 or so... but it didn't take long before I was hooked. I was lucky that many of my coworkers hunt and after a certain amount of pestering, they gave me some pointers. Our local duck forum has been a blessing as I'm pretty much self taught. It took a while, but I'm starting to figure things out! :biggrin: I don't know very many waterfowlers, and I certainly don't know any women who hunt around here so introduce yourselves if you're in the area! Thanks - looking forward to chatting with you folks. :hi:
PrairieBelle
hunter

Re: Introduction

Postby LadyK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm

:welcome:
"This isn't very helpful. You're gonna need to hear the sexual metaphor.
All life is sex.
And all sex is competition. And there are no rules to that game.
That wasn't so perverted now was it?"
-Robert California
LadyK
Super Moderator

Postby smitty14 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Hello Prairie bell,

I just joined this site, too. I am originally from PA and didn't grow up in the hunting world at all, but found out I love shooting. I'm trying to get into hunting (particularly duck) and wondering if you had any suggestions, as apparently you went the same route.
smitty14
hunter

Postby PrairieBelle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

smitty14 wrote:Hello Prairie bell,

I just joined this site, too. I am originally from PA and didn't grow up in the hunting world at all, but found out I love shooting. I'm trying to get into hunting (particularly duck) and wondering if you had any suggestions, as apparently you went the same route.

Hi smitty - welcome to the site and the world of waterfowling! In my experience duck hunting was the hardest world to break into - mostly because I didn't know very many people who hunted waterfowl and the ones I did know were pretty cliquey. There aren't many women and what I found is that most people a) didn't take me seriously or b) thought I was slumming for dates. I think I've proved them all wrong. :yes:

I don't know much about your part of the country, but I would try to get in with some conservation groups - Pheasants Forever, Delta Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited... you might call one of the regional reps and ask if they have any youth/women/beginning hunter workshops. Another good resource is the local hunters education instructors, they usually know everyone and can give you a heads up if there are special hunts or classes coming up. BOW is great, too. I guess the #1 thing for me was getting out and meeting people who are active in the sport. I spent my first couple of seasons on my own, and I will always have an appreciation for the solo hunt... but there's something to be said about the social aspect of waterfowling and I learned a lot faster from watching others! :) Oh - and even if you can't be in the blind... get yourself a good pair of binoculars and watch the ducks! You'll have a head start on duck ID and behavior.. plus, its fun! :thumbsup:

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email if you ever want to pick my brain -- and if you come through my neck of the woods, we can try to get you on some birds.
PrairieBelle
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum