decoying wistler

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

decoying wistler

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Was I the only one that had a hard time to decoy ducks. I tried just about everything I could think of. We got one wistler in just about a full day of hunting on Saturday. :help:

I'm hunting in the northern part of the lake . We've been seeing birds on and off. I just need to know where that south wind pushes them.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Re: decoying wistler

Postby jeepman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am

Like i said they stay there. they all seem to tuck in near a small cove on the shore line a hunker down. It's weird none of the divers seem to fly much when the weather is bad and windy. We have had the best luck with cold clear mornings. otherwise we always come up short of a limit or its a random mixed bag.
jeepman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

South end of the lake they are always flying around in bad weather,on clear cold mornings they are holding in shallow coves and looking for food! I have actually been seeing more birds out in deeper water in rougher choppy conditions? Have no idea why? Think it just has not been cold enough to push then into the shallower water,will let you know what happens today! WNW winds and colder temps today with sunshine coming out around 8am!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am

The birds were here and they did decoy well but we were off shore on an Island that has great shallow waters all around it! We were able to shoot some birds!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5