i need some help

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

i need some help

Postby jayhawks8890 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I recently started calling or trying to call geese. I have a bill Saunders red zone call and i purchased the bad grammer dvd, I can get the reed to snap open and honk but i can't get the deep growl before you snap it. I tried everything do you have any suggestions. I am blowing from deep down like he says its just not growling. Thanks
jayhawks8890
Newb

Re: i need some help

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Maybe a soundfile would help...at least for me. We will be able to hear what you are doing...try Youtube or Photobucket

If that doesn't work, send me one via PM or e-mail me :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

If you can make a moan, you can produce the "Herrr" portion of the "Herrronk" the same way. With a call which is tuned very easy to blow, sometimes is easier to make the moan (Herrr portion of the honk) with your hands open, rather than cupped over the exhaust end, as usually is taught. Opening your hands lowers the back pressure and helps keep the moan from unintentionally sliding into a cluck on a light tuned call.

Ever hear the sound that a big dog makes when it sees something it doesn't like, or is unsure of, a deep, throaty, low volume growl? Try to make that sort of a sound while you blow into the call, then bring your tongue up quickly to the roof of your mouth to make the cluck and cut it off. Once you have it .... play around with some variations to produce what you feel is the best sounding note.
tripleb
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Try using more back pressure when doing the moans. If you try to do a moan straight through the call(this varies from call to call) it's usually not gunna sound all that goosey. IMO
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby jayhawks8890 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 am

I think I got it now. Thanks everyone.
jayhawks8890
Newb

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum