10' hybrid NL with pods!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: 10' hybrid NL with pods!!

Postby Duckdan4434 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 pm

nice well that is good to here I want to keep it as light as possible did you double matt the bottom. I will be using 6 oz e glass matt for the bottom.
Duckdan4434
hunter

Postby Lane » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 am

Follow MA plans, but with one layer each side of 6 oz on 1/4 with epoxy you should be good. two layers of 6 oz on outside of bottom will give you more for abrasion resistance and beaver dam jumping ability. Start with MA plans and then Add another layer if it feels right. 3 layers of 6oz makes a pretty stiff and strong layup with epoxy. put a layer of 1/4 ply inside and it gets just plain tough.
Lane
hunter

Postby Duckdan4434 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:35 am

Plans just came in been studying them since the only changes I am thinking about making is doing the boat 48" wide 8" sides and 40 inch wide on the bottom pretty much scaling the whole thing up a few inches that way I can keep the same angles but have a little wider boat also doing the center of the frame and transom 16" tall instead of 14" the boat will be the same just a little bigger. Also putting an 8" square piece in the front instead of trying to bring the three points if the bow together. Any thoughts?
Duckdan4434
hunter

Postby Lane » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Well one of the great things about building your own boat is you can tweek it to fit what you want. My guess would be that the dimensions noted on MA's plans are not only for the shape of the hull but for best use of materials. ie. its easy to change something by 1 inch and have it leave you with odd pieces that you cant use, and you have to buy more that you will only use a very small portion of. That said, it really depends on what your needs are. Are you wanting to load the boat in a pickup bed or are you ok with a trailer and only launching at a boat launch? I would say yes to the 16" transom, I do all mine that way so everything is one peice after lamination with the epoxy.
1/4 in cdx is roughly 23lbs. a sheet. so 3 sheets and your already at 69 lbs. and have not covered in glass yet.... It's a challenge to build one of these boats at 10' with 3 sheets of ply, And one of my first boats was 48" wide 8'6" long 12 3/4" under the decks with a 38" floor and used 3 sheets of ply.
My point is your usage needs should determine what you build. Long for width tracks better when paddling, (think canoe), wide for length planes easier ( think airboat).
Every boat is a trade off in some way but consider your needs and what you want the boat to acomplish and lets go from there.
Lane
hunter

Postby Duckdan4434 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey guys been a while since I posted on this about to get started in the boat build just wondering what is the best type of wood to use something that is strong but light. Also how do I get the bow lift like I see everyone has I built a small model of the boat and that's the one thing I couldn't figure out the bow lift.
Duckdan4434
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Dan - sorry if you emailed me, I haven't been on that email in a while. Will check it tonight.

The rise in the bow comes 2 ways - widen the angle of the frame or play with the angles of your cuts on the bow - if doing a pointy bow the angle of the cuts will lift the front.

If you still have trouble let me know.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Duckdan4434 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Sounds good hoping to do a square bow also what is these type of wood to use I will be going over lots of beaver dams
Duckdan4434
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds