Mickey Thomson baja mtz mudders

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Anybody ever had these tires? Been Thinking about picking up some as my tires on my truck are almost bald. Defintly time to upgrade. Right now I'm running 33s and looking to go to 35s. Any opinions on the MT baja mtz would be appreciated, also what are other mudder tires you would recommend? Thanks
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Mickey Thomson baja mtz mudders

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I've never run them but have been running BFG mud terrain KM2's. My second set. I have been really impressed with them. They are very puncture resistant and don't pack up with mud too easily.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby NCSUhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Had a buddy run some MTZ's that rode horrible and wore unevenly. Could of just been a bad set though. Had really good luck out of the new Nitto Trail Grapplers. Also might wanna look at Toyo Open Country.
NCSUhunter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm

NCSUhunter wrote:Had a buddy run some MTZ's that rode horrible and wore unevenly. Could of just been a bad set though. Had really good luck out of the new Nitto Trail Grapplers. Also might wanna look at Toyo Open Country.

I've also been looking at the nittos. Only problem with these big mudders is its about $1600 for a set of 4.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby NCSUhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Yeah they're pricey, especially depending on how big the tire and wheel. The Toyo's will usually be the most expensive. What size wheels do you have?
NCSUhunter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 pm

NCSUhunter wrote:Yeah they're pricey, especially depending on how big the tire and wheel. The Toyo's will usually be the most expensive. What size wheels do you have?

Wheels are 18". For tire size, I wouldn't want to go any smaller than 305/70R18
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby NCSUhunter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am

Was gonna tell you to try looking at a Maxxis Buckshot if you wanted something cheaper but they dont make many in an 18" more 15" and 16".
NCSUhunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am

I've heard really good things about them regarding traction and wear on Jeep-sized vehicles. I imagine they'd wear a lot faster on a full size truck. I had KM2s on my Jeep and they were pretty good, tread life was great (but again, on a Jeep), traction was good off road, but sucked in the hard-packed snow and ice and they were super loud once they wore down a little. The tires I had before that were Interco Trxus MT's which were awesome on road and off, even on packed snow and ice, however they wore terrible. When my truck is due for tires I think I'm going go with a more MT/AT hybrid like the Duratrac or **** Cepek FCII. A good friend of mine has had FCII's on his 2500HD Duramax for several years and swears by them. The first set he had he got over 60k out of, he's currently on his second set and has probably 40k on them and they still have good tread.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm

NCSUhunter wrote:Was gonna tell you to try looking at a Maxxis Buckshot if you wanted something cheaper but they dont make many in an 18" more 15" and 16".

buckshots wear horrible on anyting but a light jeep or non full sized truck.

MTZ's are a great tire I know a few guys who have had them and loved them. only other options for MT tires for me (for something that gets driven on the road) would be Nitto trail or mud grapplers, toyo's or cooper stt's. no other MT's wear or handles as good as those on the street.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:30 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Anybody ever had these tires? Been Thinking about picking up some as my tires on my truck are almost bald. Defintly time to upgrade. Right now I'm running 33s and looking to go to 35s. Any opinions on the MT baja mtz would be appreciated, also what are other mudder tires you would recommend? Thanks

tsl radials great on the highway (last a long time) and even better off road :thumbsup: or if your gonna be mainly off road supper swampper boggers are the best, next to tractor tires
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 am

ebitzan wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:Anybody ever had these tires? Been Thinking about picking up some as my tires on my truck are almost bald. Defintly time to upgrade. Right now I'm running 33s and looking to go to 35s. Any opinions on the MT baja mtz would be appreciated, also what are other mudder tires you would recommend? Thanks

tsl radials great on the highway (last a long time) and even better off road :thumbsup: or if your gonna be mainly off road supper swampper boggers are the best, next to tractor tires

TSLradials dont last long on the road compared to a Nitto, mickey T, or Toyo.

my brother had 41in Irok radials and they didnt last 35k, along with my buddy that got some 31in tsl's for his jeep had them for 4-5 months and they were 1/2 tread when he took them off.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up getting a set of used 35x12.5 MT bajas on Craigslist for a steal. So far they ride nice and look even better.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354894606.161538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354894617.825416.jpg
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up getting a set of used 35x12.5 MT bajas on Craigslist for a steal. So far they ride nice and look even better.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354894606.161538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354894617.825416.jpg

Looks good! I always liked those tires, the sets I've had wore good and weren't overly loud. :thumbsup:
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum