Newbee

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Newbee

Postby CBRS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself. Been hiding up in Alaska for the past decade and decided to return to my beloved central flyway, originally from SD.

Like most of you I eat, sleep, and think fowl. It totally consumes me.
Anyway, glad to be down here and hunting fowl in short sleeves in Nov/Dec!!!!

Take Care,
CBRS
hunter

Re: Newbee

Postby quackattack1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 am

CBRS,

Welcome to both the site and the state. As someone who has been on here for quite a while, it's half of what it used to be. It used to be an awesome place to share stories, discuss tactics, post pictures, get group hunts together, etc. I know it has slowed down a lot the last few years and that is most likely directly related to the drought and lack of birds. Public hunting has also run off a lot of people who were regular duck hunters. When the bird number are low, people get frustrated. When people get frustrated, they take their anger out online in a pissing match. It's kind of childish, but it's what we got. That said, there are still a lot of good people around here that will help and contribute positively in threads or in person.

I saw you post in another thread about being a newbie here during the drought and hunting only public land. Trust me, I feel your pain. I have hunted public land only for the 7 years I have been hunting in Kansas and this year is undoubtedly the worst. I don't do it by choice (I have tons of private land in OK), I do it cause it's what I've got. Living close to the city virtually limits all private hunting unless you want to throw some cash around. In times like these, it's a beat down. There are no honey holes and no birds. But, it can be some of the best duck hunting in the state and central flyway if the conditions are right.

It takes a lot of work, a lot of effort, and a lot of dedication though. Sometimes we walk 3 sleds with close to 70 decoys about 1.5 miles. After doing that, be prepared to have some clown show up with 6 hot buys right before shooting light. Last year we had a guy walk up on us after sunlight and literally asked "Why are you stealing all the birds with that bulli*h*t spread". We just laughed and watched as he walked back to his car. My advice is to scout, get to your spots early, and make as many hunting buddies as possible.

Sorry for the long post. I'm bored and looking for anything to avoid studying for finals. This thread provided me about 15 mins worth of that. Wish you the best with your hunting endeavors. What brought you away from Alaska anyway? If you plan on being here for a few years, don't let this year get you down. The rain will come and people will be complaining about too much water eventually.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 am

CBRS, your profile gives us no information about yourself, so we don't know where you live, how old you are, or anything else.
Without that, there's not much we can offer except welcome to the area and to the forum. If you aren't too thin-skinned, you'll enjoy the Kansas Forum and the Kansas waterfowl hunting. :biggrin: ...it takes a certain amount of mental toughness to participate in either.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 am

Welcome to KS :welcome:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby CBRS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks guys. Sorry didnt get the profile filled out. I'll take care of that.
Well not afraid of hard work, nothing is like hunting in Alaska when it comes to scouting and freighting in decoys.

Yea mudpack understand what your saying about forums.
CBRS
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 pm

:welcome: How is the duck hunting in Alaska? Funny thing is, I went on a fishing trip to Alaska this year, what a blast. The bass fishing out in the sea was the most exciting thing, out of everything. I would like to go back and try gold mining for the summer.
But we hit the peak of the spawn. The kinni river had like 100,000 fishing coming up river, at first than drop down to 20,000 to 50,000, when we left. Everyone was nice, fishing on public river, except the land owners. Your welcome to my blind anytime but pm me
cONG
hunter

Postby CBRS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks cong for the pics. Make me homesick.

Duck hunting AK is fast paced, cold and lots of hardwork to be successful
CBRS
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting