AL duck species

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

AL duck species

Postby auburn_1984 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi, I saw a post somewhere but cant find it now. I am looking for the types of species that are located in AL. This post broke it down by sections of the Delta region. I am just getting into duck hunting and trying to research the types of birds that i may encounter and etc.
auburn_1984
hunter

Re: AL duck species

Postby jaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm

In AL, I've killed every species of duck except for seaducks (I have killed an old squaw), haven't killed a cinnamen teal or mottled duck or tree ducks. Other than that, I've killed every species of puddler and diver. So, anything is possible, go to ducks.org and look at species identification, and learn what your shooting at.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby robert331 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:29 pm

This is what I have either seen or killled this year so far. Mallards, GWT, BWT, Woodies, Gadwalls, Pintails, Hoodies. In years past I have seen or killed almost all duck except for seaducks. In cental Alabama the majority of what I see is Mallards, teal, gadwalls, hoddies, woodies and ring necks.
robert331
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for the information. I hear that down south in the delta there isnt a whole lot of mallards. How true is that? Got another question how hard is it to tell the difference between a gadwall and a mallard? I know you can tell the drake mallard from the green head. I was looking at the hen gadwall and mallard and to me they look simular.
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm

auburn_1984 wrote:Thanks for the information. I hear that down south in the delta there isnt a whole lot of mallards. How true is that? Got another question how hard is it to tell the difference between a gadwall and a mallard? I know you can tell the drake mallard from the green head. I was looking at the hen gadwall and mallard and to me they look simular.

why don't you go to ducks.org like I suggested? its got tips on species i.d. as well as pictures.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby CecilWoodie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 am

look at the beaks color
scout, scout, scout.... fail.....scout some more
CecilWoodie
hunter

Postby deepmarsh1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am

Grey duck hen and mallard hen are very close but the mallard has blue on its wing and the gad has white. This is true with both genders. The drake's bill is dark and the hen is light with spots. The three on the right are drakes. The two on the left are hens
Attachments
IMG957352.jpg
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting