Mixing in some snows?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Mixing in some snows?

Postby elwoodUT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 am

I have decided I want my spread to stand out from others for this late season. I have the opportunity to buy a dozen snow goose shells for cheap. Had anyone had success mixing some in? Or does it totally deter the geese from coming in?
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Re: Mixing in some snows?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 am

I did that once because there were some snows in the area, the Canada Geese did not like them. We ended up covering the snow shells with canada shells and we were all good. I bet location makes a difference...we don't see many snows
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 am

Thats a tough one. Atleast where i come from... Canadas and snow dont really get along. What usually hapens is Canadas get into a field... then the snows end up landing rihgt in the middle of them and chase them off. Its kinda funny to watch. I dont think Canadas care much for the agressive feeding that snows do. If you ever compare a flock of snows and a flock of Canadas feeding its like a different world. Snows ar like lawnmowers and Canadas are more relaxed. Typically once snows are in a field the Canadas try not to land there but you never know i guess. Just from what i experienced it probably isnt the best idea.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm

It can work if you keep the number of snows to a minimum. 4-6 intermixed seems OK. More than that and you should have some separation. Our local flock had a couple of snows with them from early September on. I put a couple snows in my spread and the canadas didn't even blink.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm

we put 5-6 dozen candians right around the pit, and have about 250 snow dekes 40 yards in front, doesnt bother the honkers from what ive seen, but they never do want to land anywhere near them
vapor300
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Late season, I will add a half dozen snows to the side of my 5 dozen canadas. If I have smaller flocks, I cut it back in scale. 3 dozen canadas and maybe 2-3 snows. I have had better luck adding a few white fronted geese (specks) to the side. However, the only time I do this is late season...the last two or three weeks of January. Since you are a little farther north than me, you could bump it another week forward. I do not suggest mixing the species together. I set the off species about 10 yards from my canadas mostly to block them and push them to my shooting side. If I get a mixed flock come in, the non-canadas tend to peel off and head for their own kind. That helps to get a chance at bonus geese during a hunt!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum