INFO on planting rice

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

INFO on planting rice

Postby LouisianaFowler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 pm

I need some help with planting rice. What to get. where to get it, and when to plant. I live in North AL. It will be planted in shallow water, I have mudd all the way to two or three feet of water to choose from.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Re: INFO on planting rice

Postby LouisianaFowler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Never mind, found all I need to know.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby colebyrob » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 pm

I would like to know this also. Would you mind telling me what you found out about planting rice.
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Postby LouisianaFowler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I googled it and its an easy crop to grow. You basically soak the rice seed in water for a number of hours, let it dry for a number of hours, then drop in the mud with appx 6" of water over it. 90 to 120 days and you have duck food. I'm doing mine next September. Seeds are cheap on amazon, look for the species that puts off a strong sent with a sweet taste. I'm guessing that would be the best.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 pm

You'll probably want to plant it earlier than september. It needs very warm nights to head out, and once its dried down, it's not really going anywhere. You should aim to have it harvestable 1-2 weeks before your duck season starts. If it's ready too early the ducks will hammer it and be out of there before you can hunt them. Also, for weeds and pests, you'll want to do your flood up just prior to planting, like 1 day at the most. If you flood, let that sit for even a day or two then plant, you'll have to do some weed control most likely. You can do some non-chemical weed control practices as well, but it mostly depends on what are your primary weed problems.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Rice can be easy to grow. I grow thousands of acres of it in California. The water seeding method is not widely used in the South. Better to to dry the area to be planted now. Then do some tillage to loosen the soil after the ground is dry. Then drill or broadcast some seed not over one inch deep. Re flood the area to get it all wet and drain it again. Repeat again. You should have some rice seedlings and some weed seedlings as well. Likely everything that's growing out there is duck food. Spring is the time to plant all aquatic duck food, so it has all summer to mature. Good luck.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm

What about planting it here in the Northern climates? I live in Pennsylvania and have a private swamp I hunt. Last year the water levels were way down and I thought about buying some from Wildfowl Nurseries. Would it grow in the damp soil of the marsh when the water levels are low but the soil still moist? The water levels eventually returned to normal and where I would scatter this it's only about a foot deep. Any thoughts would be appreciated.......
don novicki
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Even though I'm a rice farmer, I am reluctant to give advice on an area I know nothing about. But in the spirit of the president of the united states, what the hay. In my opinion, rice would be a poor choice up there. There a lot of shorter growing season aquatics that likely would work. Strangely the best way to establish aquatics is to dry out the site. Whenever the driest time of year is, that's when you need to dry out your plot. By dry I mean ground cracking dry. If the rainfall in your area comes regularly, this may not be possible. But if it is use that to your advantage.

Get on the dry cracked open ground and till it up to get a seed bed. It doesn't have to be perfect. Aquatic weeds planted into dry ground and flushed up will emerge and grow well. They only need enough water to keep the soil moist, if you have an irrigated plot, that's a huge advantage. To be able to flush the plot periodically will grow the heck out of the weeds. Then if you can flood the plot without relying on rainfall for hunting season,God bless the child that's got his own.

The kind of aquatics that will grow in your area I'm not to sure of, bullrush, and other sedges, smartweed, marsh timothy, millet, are some I would suggest. Plant more than one type. The experience may even be fun.
Butta boom
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology